Leaking Rivets in Fuel Tank. Solution?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon tank for my '84 Johnson and one of the handles at the top has broken off somewhere in the distant past. The tank only had one handle when I bought the boat. (Pictures are below.) This missing handle isn't really a problem because I rarely take the fuel tank out of the boat, but I have recently noticed that the rivets that had held the missing handle in place are the source of a small fuel leak. I'm not sure if they are all leaking, but I do notice gas leaking from the tank near these rivets. Since they are on the top of the tank it's not really an issue, but if the tank is full of fuel and the fuel if sloshing around in transport small amounts of fuel will leak out of the tank.

Do you guys have any thoughts on how to fix this leak? I tried duct tape, but that really didn't work well. :LOL2: I have heard of people using JB Weld for pretty much anything, and I have some, but I have never used it on anything. Could this be a solution?

Thanks.

Attachments

• brokenfueltankhandle.jpg
    brokenfueltankhandle.jpg
    858.6 KB · Views: 676
  • fueltankhandle.jpg
    fueltankhandle.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 676
  • fuel_tank.jpg
    fuel_tank.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 676
If you have the rivet tool, 1/4" x 1/4" self sealing aluminum rivets will work quite well.
option #2 would be to use brass machine screws that will also work well.
with the screws, try to find some "fuel proof" thread locker at your automotive store.
Either one will solve your problem.

In the meantime, scour the thrift stores and junk yards and you might find an old
tank of similar design to salvage parts off of.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 671
  • r-102.jpg
    r-102.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 671
Go to an auto parts place - get some J-B Stik Weld i or similar product to plug the holes

There are several products out there - usually like a putty that you roll around to make soft and stick

Because your hole is at the top this will work just fine to stop the splash

I just had a similar issue with a small pinhole on the side wall of my metal gas tank...

sanded, wiped down with acetone and used a couple dabs of JB Weld.

Let it cure for a couple days, and hit it with spray paint.

Seems to be holding up well.

Just took it out for run yesterday and all is well.