1979 evenrude 6hp good buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkyle47

Reaction score
I just picked this motor up today for $150. It came with a 5 gallon tank line and bulb. It started right up idles nicely, shifted smoothly and pumped water with a steady stream. I'm just curious if it was a decent deal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    838.4 KB · Views: 795
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    940.3 KB · Views: 795
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 795
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 795
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 795
Lets put it this way.
If I had to make a living working on broken 1978 or 1979 6hp Johnson/Evinrude engines......I would starve.
The '79 Evinrude 6hp is probably one of the finest little engines ever made. You did well. Take care of it.
Service the water pump immediately for peace of mind. Run the best oil you can buy in it. Check the lower unit oil.

You got a great motor for a great price. I have the same motor on my 1648 and this morning I checked my speed using a GPS and achieved 9 MPH with two of us and all our gear. Make sure you have water peeling out the hole on the right side (looking from the rear) when running. If not have water pump checked.

That motor would be listed on Craig's List in Wisconsin for about $300-400, and be sold in relatively short order.

You got a GREAT deal. Can't speak to the speeds, the 5.5hp I have didn't push my 14 Model that fast, but it moved it along with some authority.

Nice work.

(oh, and do what Pappy says. He knows.)

Heck yeah you got a GREAT deal! I just paid $400 for mine and I'm pretty happy with the deal.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357882#p357882 said:
Dkyle47 » 01 Jul 2014, 13:31[/url]"]Clint KY so what kinda speed do you think (rough estimate) I could expect with just me and gear all together about 225lbs in my 1232?
it is really hard to say. But I have learned over the years that TRIM is the one thing that will add or subtract speed from a boat. On your motor there is bar that sits between the motor mount and the motor that adjusts the angle at which the motor sits on your transom. Establish a base line - add all the gear you intend to usually take with you, distribute it in the boat and start your trials. If you have a GPS take it - even one from your car - most of them will give you ground speed - while you may be able to discern the best from the worst the ones in the middle sometimes are hard to gauge. Try all the angles and write down the speed achieved up and down the lake (to take the wind into account) see which one is fastest. Then start moving gear forward and aft and do it again. You should start to see a trend where putting weight forward will make it slower (plowing) and rear will make it bounce (porpoising). Find the happy (fastest) medium and remember that if you change your load, your trim will change.

I hope I made that clear enough to understand.

Latest posts