green stuff in the bucket?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh870

Reaction score
a friend of mine let me borrow his 2001 yamaha 3hp 2 stroke that he never used. it came with a boat he bought and he only uses electric motors. he doesnt know anything about it so he said i could borrow it if i can get it running. fresh fuel took care of that. started first pull. i dont know anything about outboards but when i stopped running it in my clean bucket there were globs of green stuff floating around, stuck to the motor and to the edge of the bucket. it smells like some kind of oil but i dont know if its normal or where its coming from. any advice would be great! thanks

Sounds like it might be lower unit oil or it could be old grease that was on your outboard. If it sat a bit you need to change the impellor and lower unit oil anyway so i would start there.

A little patience will go far and ensure not causing harm. Follow Steves advice and you won't need to worry about impeller condition or lower unit lube health.If wanting to keep going replace spark plug too with correct gap. A two stroke expels some oil in use and it kind of runs down from exhaust when sitting. Hoping that's your globs.The odor is as if it has been burned through engine.An exhaust scent. When you replace lower unit lube take a whiff of it fresh to compare.
When I used a test barrel regular for my 4 h.p. 2 stroke it got nasty at waterline with beads of dirty oil over time.
Bet it that three h.p. is gonna be fun to use. =D>

its not mine so i would rather not take it apart. i changed the water and ran it 5 times and now the water is just cloudy no more green slime globs. how do you change lower unit oil? thanks. 3hp should be great ive always used electric trolling motors. (il get an 8 eventually) i just borrowed it a few days. im going camping tomorrow i cant recharge the trolling motor battery there. now hopefully i can explore more of the lake

Do yourself and your friend a favor and change the impeller before you damage his motor.

is the impeller what pumps the water? because it shoots out water like a power washer.

thanks bob

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357546#p357546 said:
josh870 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:18 pm[/url]"]is the impeller what pumps the water? because it shoots out water like a power washer.

thanks bob
Yes it is but what happens is a fin breaks off the old impeller and gets stuck in the water passage blocking the water that's cooling the motor.

Latest posts