Best motor for mv1648ncs side steering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mvman

Reaction score
Just got a alums craft mv1648ncs side steering wheel. It weighs 300lbs. Wanting a motor to put on it for speeding around the lake and possibly pulling an inner tube. Was going to buy 20hp Suzuki but since the boat is rated for 35hp - I'm leaning toward the brand new Suzuki 30hp with power tilt and trim with remote steering. Price is roughly 4700 for it compared to 3000 for 20hp. Any one have experience with the new 2014 Suzuki 30hp? I'm not married to Suzuki. Not going to be fishing - just want to go fast. Thoughts?

If that's all you want is speed, it might be wise to look at something other than a jon boat. Say, a glass "pad" hull with some horsepower. The jon with that DF30 is only going to get about 30 mph roughly.

Knowing a tiny bit about Suzuki powersports stuff, personally I'd pass. But that's just me. I've never been a suzuki fan and until someone proves to me first hand that it's something worth spending my hard earned money on, I'm not buying any 'zuke's.

Thanks for the advice. 30mph is plenty fast. Had to go jon boat route due to budget and mostly pushing it around to back of the house under the deck - didn't want to pay for storage.

You think 20 is good enough or 30? Also if not Suzuki - what brand and models? Has to be remote steering.

I have the same boat but mine is a tiller steer and I have a 25hp merc 2 stroke. With 2 people i can get 27mph add anotjer and it drops to 23 mph. If I were to buy new i would get a 30hp etec. That said next year I will be getting a 20hp suzuki so I can run on the restricted reservoirs and expect to do about 22mph with two people hopefully.

My boat is a 1650 with a 50hp Johnson and I get right at 33mph but with a little wind and chop and alot of trim it'll run 34. Lol plenty of fast for me on my 10000sq acre lake. 6 gallons of fuel don't last long either so I put in close to where ima fish.

I had an older Suzuki 25 hp 2 stroke on a 13' Boston Whaler and that motor would outrun anything else with a 25-35 hp motor on it. Never had a problem with it and I bought the boat used from a salt water environment. I even clipped a rock on the river and snapped 2" off the bottom of the skeg and still no problems.

i have a 1648 mv weldbilt, w/ a 30 hp efi 4 stroke tohatsu. tiller steer ptt. the best i have gotten is 29 mph with 0ne guy, 28+ w/2 and 26 w/3. gps speeds. uses little gas with 2 and quite a bit more w/3. uses so little gas that i went to a 3 gal tank.porpoising is a problem, have to slow down to stop it or trim down. look at the tohatsu/nissans. mercury is the same engine. i could pull a tube but am wooried more about my handles on the boat breking off. u arent gonna really brek 30 mph with a jon. way too scary for me with a 1648. good luck

i have an alumacraft 1648 mv, 2 batteries, 24v trolling motor, and a 3 cylinder johnson 35 with pt&t. With a 15p stainless prop, i can turn 5900 rpm for 33 mph at any time. Get the right conditions (cool, low humidity, down current), and it'll flirt with 34.8 -35 mph.

I guess speed is okay to a degree if you put it into perspective.
I run on a lake that's 63 miles long with a 15HP 2-stroke 14ft Lowe @22mph.
Bass boats and larger go around me going twice as fast, let's say @44mph.
From any point 2.2 miles from the dock, they get there in 3 mins and I get there in 6 mins.
I'm not sure the increased initial investment, maintenance and fuel consumption (I'm at 8 mpg) is really worth the 3 mins they use still getting out of their boat when I arrive, is worth it. Isn't water about the most inefficient medium for speed anyway?

All boats are equal in a "No Wake" zone.

Mine's a 548 War Eagle, hull weight is 353 lbs. 4 stroke 25 yamaha (2000 model-the lighter ones), short shaft. With just me, my tackle, cooler full of fish and ice, battery, 3 gal tank, and snacks, it runs right at 30 mph-I've seen 30.5 (GPS) before but more norm is 29.6-30.1.

Put the GF in there with all her junk she brings along, and lose about 2.5 mph.

With the lighter loads, I'll see 6190 RPM, max. On plane in just a shade over 3 seconds. 3.2 is the fastest I've been able to record. 3.8 the slowest. 11" Turbo hotshot prop. Idles at 795-810 RPM.

I also ran it once with a 4 stroke 15 Yamaha. It was a turd, more of a turd than it is now. On plane in about 6.5 seconds, top speed 23 mph with the stock 9" pitch aluminum prop. I think I could get 24-24.5 mph with a good stainless prop but I ended up selling the motor. I figure a 20 would've run about 25 mph tops, but it would be a slug out of the hole since it's the same motor as a 15, just a little more top rpm power.

I wished I had a 40 on mine sometimes, then other times I am GLAD it's just a little 25. That little 25 uses so little fuel that I normally have to throw out 2/3 of what is left in the tank after a day's trip anyway. But if I put a 40 on it, I pick up about 80 lbs more weight on the transom which I'm not excited about. I'm going to wait for the NEW Yamaha 25 to come out next year. If I like it, I'm buying one. I have heard some info about it and so far, if it's gonna be what they're saying it is, I'm having it-but it'll be expensive.

Before spending that kind of money on a motor I would look to buy a different boat and sell yours.

Latest posts