Starting unused Yamaha 15 horse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepbailing

Reaction score
Hello. I just bought a mid 90's Yamaha 2-stroke that has not been started for a couple of years. What steps should I take to make sure the rings are free and lubed and are there any other measures to be taken besides gas and oil before I attempt to start it?
I'm ok with regular 4 stroke engines but not 2-strokes and especially not outboards. The boat and motor were stored covered and under a shed in temperatures that rarely drop below 40 or exceed 80.
Thank you for any advice!

Pull the plugs and and give each cylinder a few small drops of oil the rotate flywheel by hand to lubricate both cylinders. You should also change the impellor in the lower unit but if you want to just see if it starts you dont have to but if it isnt peeing shut it off or it will overheat pretty fast.

I would also drain the carb bowl(s). Verify airways are clean to carbs, no bugs or mice nests. Fresh gas and 2 cycle oil of course.
Tim

Steve and Tim------Thank you so much for your advice! Of course I'll do all that you recommend. Since outboards are new to me I will probably be back here numerous times before I feel comfortable enough to do things on my own.
Thanks again!
Roy

Latest posts