Steering cable help with rotary gear box.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintcreek

Reaction score
Switching motors on my old Lowe 16' fishing boat and when I hooked up the new motor to the steering it will not turn as far to the right as my old motor. How do I adjust the cable on a rotary gear box? I know how to do it on a worm drive, but this is my first rotary to deal with.

Thanks.

There is no adjustment on a rotary gear box. You have to physically move the mounting point at the motor end of the cable or get an adjustable motor arm. Here is a pic of my old school setup on a tiller conversion. It allows me to unclamp the cable housing, move it, then retighten (I don't use an adjustable motor arm).

Attachments

• OldSchoolSteeringMount.jpg
    OldSchoolSteeringMount.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 291
Thanks Patriot. I got lucky and found and adjustable drag link that when adjusted just as short as it would go was the right length. I had stripped the steering of a 14' flat bottom several years back and it was laying in my shop. I had forgotten all about it. Now when my shorter shift cables come in tomorrow I can get this boat rigged out with 5 more hp and tilt and trim.....along with a 20 year newer motor. Now this afternoon I can move on to wiring and installing the 798 HBird SI.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=34975#
Tight lines.
Flintcreek