Help me decide

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Jr.

Reaction score
All things equal including price and condition would you choose a 1990 Evinrude 6hp or a 1979 Evinrude 6hp fisherman?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 578
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 578
I think I would definitely go with the '90 as it would likely have a electronic ignition rather than points. However, plenty of folks would disagree with me since points are so much cheaper and easier to replace and refurbish. And I may be wrong, the '90 may still have points. The '90 is probably easier to get parts for as well.

So I actually looked at three outboards today. The first was a 1974 Johnson 8hp that was really rough but ran fine. It was dirty on the inside and the owner hadn't changed the lower unit oil in three years - NO GO

I then looked at the 1990 6HP you see in the photo and it smoked A LOT, when I took off the cowling it had oil near the carbs and all over the inside of the motor. NO GO

The last one was the 6hp Fisherman you see in the post. The guy took care of it and drained the carb bowls after each use, changed the lower unit oil and impeller at the end of last season and it's sat since. He used the stabil gas treatment for E10 so it didn't have carb issues too. I offered $400 and drove away feeling pretty good.

79 hands down... better more reliable motor and parts are very easy to find new or used and easier to work on...

Latest posts