Evinrude 9.9...what am I missing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucket69

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1989 9.9 Rude (e-start) and when I picked it up I got to hear it run, and it ran fine. That was about 3 weeks ago, and last weekend I had it out for the first time and couldn't get it started. Came home and pulled the plugs and they looked very wet. Figured new plugs would do the trick. I put new plugs in tonight and hit the button. It fired, but never really idled to amount to anything. It died and now it won't start, and seems like it isn't getting fuel. I pulled the fuel line and confirmed that it is pumping fuel when you hit the button. The previous owner said he always used fuel stabilizer, and claimed it to be a trouble free motor.

I can't help but think it is something stupid...like throttle. This isn't my first outboard, but it is the first tiller that I've had in several years.

Anyy suggestions?

All the same.

I think I figured it out. I can't give it any throttle while in neutral. Why not? The handle won't twist unless it is in gear.

not sure about that later model buy my 66 has a little pin that sticks up when in neutral and reverse and prohibits you from throttling any further than the start position on the throttle to (i'm assuming) protect from over rev. i suppose you could adjust the idle up a bit but i would also give the carb a good cleaning and try that. if your fuel system is clean and in good shape it shouldnt have to be cranked up too much to start and idle. good luck

I turned the idle up a little and it fire right up. Idled good, revved fine, ready to put in the water. Shut it off, buttoned everything back up, hit the button and it wouldn't start. Same deal. Pulled the cover back off, the air horn, and played with the idle again and nothing. Put the idle back to where it was and eventually got it started long enough to put it in gear and it purred like a kitten. Shut it off and it wouldn't start again. For some reason it isn't getting enough fuel at idle. Do these have a pilot jet?

i would suggest stripping the carb down and soaking it over night then take a compressor and blow out all the tiny low idle passages and every thing else. if you see a hole blast it with the air. if your jets are removable, use a PROPERLY fitting screw driver and remove them and soak seperately and make sure they are perfectly clean. if it does the trick then you probably just had some gunk in one of the passages. however, if it starts not wanting to idle again after a short period of time i would check/replace ALL of the fuel lines under the hood and to the tank as the cause of your problems may be the lining of one or more of your fuel lines flaking off and plugging up your carb (gotta love that E-fuel). the lines are too cheap to keep putting up with the head ache of tearing down your carb every couple weeks IMHO.

oh and also with my old 9.5 i have to hold the throttle firmly in the start position for a few seconds until it warms up or it will wiggle its way back toward the shift position and it does not like to idle all that great at the shift position when its warm let alone still cold.

I went down last night and hit the button and the dang thing fired right up. Ran great, idled. Started several time without problem. :?

Guess I will try it a few more times and see what's up.

Are you positive its getting spark when it doesn't want to run my 73 9.5 evinrude kinda did that it had a spark but it must not have been hot enough to run correctly at times new points and condensers and coils fixed mine

Latest posts