Help! Lower unit will not come off!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rscottp

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha F25. Trying to replace impeller, have all the bolts removed and it will not come out. It has loosened a little, about 1/4". Any advise?

Did you undo the shift linkage bolt? I think on the yammi fourstrokes its two nuts that tighten on top of each other. Should be located on front in the mid section of your outboard.. There is an expoesed section of shift rod and you will see the two nuts. Loosen lower one a full turn then loosen top one untill it seperates.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358227#p358227 said:
stevesecotec02 » 03 Jul 2014, 21:36[/url]"]Did you undo the shift linkage bolt? I think on the yammi fourstrokes its two nuts that tighten on top of each other. Should be located on front in the mid section of your outboard.. There is an expoesed section of shift rod and you will see the two nuts. Loosen lower one a full turn then loosen top one untill it seperates.
Yep, shift rod is disconnected. Feels like the drive shaft is stuck.

Hhmmm....try to rotate the prop back and forth a little while you pull down on lower unit. If that doesnt work a few gentle taps with a rubber mallett might break it free. Could just be a really thight drive shaft or a small burr on driveshaft holding things up.

If the linkage is fully disconnected, and there's no tilt rod link under the linkage jam nut, the water tube bushing sometimes gets stuck. Drive shaft could be twisted a little. Keep working with it.