2 stroke issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLIFSH

Reaction score
So here is my issue.
I have a 1989 Suzuki DT15C that was starting up easy enough but kept bogging down. Took the motor off the boat and transported it to my work, I lay the motor on its side which I was told was OK with a 2 stroke. Cleaned the carb and now the motor will not start at all. I have spark, and I have tried starting fluid, but it does not even try to fire. I am trying to run this is a barrel and have noticed a lot of oil in the water. Any ideas what happened in the matter of a couple of days? :(

I don't see any reason it shouldn't start, unless you didn't get the carbs installed/rebuilt right. Can you take the bolt ,lose at the bottom of the float bowl? See if you are getting fuel there. Make sure you didn't unhook any wiring during the rebuild.

Laying on the side does not harm - no oil or fluids so nothing to spill or clog etc.

If you have spark then you need to see why you gave no fuel - or improper mix anyway

DO NOT use start fluid - very bad for 2 strokes

Get a needle and squirt pre-mix instead

This model has the oil injection. There is a tank for the oil which is my concern. Never gave it a thought when I laid it down. Thanks for the heads up about starter fluid...

If you have oil injection that is different. I usually don't recommend turning those on their side. Did you let the motor set upright for a while before you tried to start it? There may be some oil in some spots it shouldn't be and needs to drain down.

Thanks for all the help. I let the motor sit upright overnight, drained the carb, cleaned the plugs and it started...

hey saw your post im looking at one of these for sale 8) , how do you like yours, what boat do you have it on(type of hull and weight) how fast does it push it. hows it on gas, how reliable
thanks

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358419#p358419 said:
25yamaha » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:07 pm[/url]"]hey saw your post im looking at one of these for sale 8) , how do you like yours, what boat do you have it on(type of hull and weight) how fast does it push it. hows it on gas, how reliable
thanks

I bet he will tell you not take it off the boat and tip it over, LOL

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358419#p358419 said:
25yamaha » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:07 pm[/url]"]hey saw your post im looking at one of these for sale 8) , how do you like yours, what boat do you have it on(type of hull and weight) how fast does it push it. hows it on gas, how reliable
thanks

Sorry, I couldn't tell you. I just picked this motor up.

Seems like most parts are available.

Oh yeah, NEVER lay it on its side. Took 2 days to let the oil settle back so that I could start it.

Latest posts