Bolt attaching water pump sheered off!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rscottp

Reaction score
Replacing impeller on my motor has been a nightmare! First drive shaft was stuck and it took me 3-4hrs to break it free and remove the lower unit. Then one of the 4 bolts holding on the impeller housing sheered off in the block! tried to remove it with a screw extractor which broke off in the hole I drilled in the bolt. Then spent the next hr or so breaking and ruining assorted drill bits trying to drill a new hole through the hardened steel of the broken extractor, that wasn't going to happen so I decided to install impeller with only 3 bolts and hope for the best. Finally got everything back together and working(another hr getting the shift rod attached properly). Probably only spent 10hrs on a 1 hr job, unbelievable!

My main question is; Has anyone else experienced this and do you guys think the impeller will be ok with only 3 of 4 bolts holding it on?

I think the impeller will be ok.
Have I ever broke off an "easy out" on a bolt, sure, but my neighbor came over and knew how to fix it, just drill sloppy and go right thru the briggs&stratton block. Really helpful guy.
Tim

I'd run it on muffs or in a barrel , if its pumping ok ,I'd run it. On the 7.5 I sheered a bolt for the T-stat housing , permatex the gasket and let it sit over night. no leaks. Still good after 2 years.....

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358356#p358356 said:
Charger25 » 05 Jul 2014, 07:30[/url]"]I'd run it on muffs or in a barrel , if its pumping ok ,I'd run it. On the 7.5 I sheered a bolt for the T-stat housing , permatex the gasket and let it sit over night. no leaks. Still good after 2 years.....
I ran it with muffs yesterday and it was pissing fine, think I will run it a bit then remove lower unit and get the busted bolt removed by a machine shop.

Latest posts