Speed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charger25

Reaction score
Hey Guys ,got a question. Been rattling around in me brain for a while. I'm gonna try to make this as short as I can.
A while back I was given an early 90's 25 hp rude that didn't run well at all. One of the things I did was to get the head milled at a local shop. They took off about 20 ths. I think. Not long ago a bud of mine and I were out on the river with our wives.

His boat: 14' flat bottom jon, 25 hp 4 stroke Suzuki, both brand spanking new. Gear was one battery, cooler,anchor, tackle and 2 people.(him, 170 lbs, her 115)

My boat : 16' semi-v 25 hp 2 stroke Evinrude w/well used prop , gear was , battery, trolling motor, cooler, anchor, tackle, 2 people. ( me 190 lbs, wife 125)

Being competitive, we raced of course :LOL2: neither one of us could out run the other. We actually ran side by side at WOT for a while. I know hydrodynamics of the hull have alot to do with it as does the power to weight ratio. But, by getting the head shaved did the compression thus the HP increase that much ? I'm thinking he should've out run me due to heaver boat and older motor with a worn prop.

The 4 stroke is a heavier motor, even though your prop is worn it might be a better match to the load it's pushing.