Motor Revs fine in neutral, bogs in gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srr5008

Reaction score
I recently swapped a 98 Evinrude 50hp motor onto my boat. Went through all the usual maintenance for a new-to-me motor - new fuel lines, cleaned the carbs, etc. I've had the boat out 3-4 times with no issues. This last weekend I was running at WOT, and hit a boat wake prety hard and the motor cut out (coincidence??). Now I have no power when the motor is in gear. It revs fine while in neutral, and idles fine in gear. But as soon as I push forward on the throttle it bogs down pretty bad. It isn't running "rough" per say, but I can't get it to go above 3-4 mph.

The only tinkering I did with it this weekend was to pull the carberator covers off the front of the motor to make sure the butterfly valves were synchronized. I noticed while doing this that the gasket around the carb cover (looked kind of like a shallow airbox, like you'd find on a car) was torn. But I was able to reinstall the carb cover with the gasket in place. Not sure if this would have any bearing on my problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I plan to check my spark and compression. I see a lot of online responses to similar questions saying to clean the carbs out. But in my mind, all of these issues shouldn't matter since it is running fine in neutral. I would think that this issues affect how the motor runs in general, and not make a difference as far as whether or not it was in gear. Any help would be much appreciated.

Possible that the shock from the wave broke some gunk loose in the carb? It sounds like you might have a main jet that is plugged. I would start with a good teardown and cleaning.

Good luck!

It could idle fine when it's only running off of one carb then as you hit the throttle no go. That jolt could have messed up a float, knocked crud loose anywhere from the tank to the carb, caused an old coil or CDI to rear it's ugly head or knocked the linkage that goes from your throttle to that lever under your flywheel. That lever advances timing just after you move off idle. Give battery cables and connections under the cowl a once over as well. You will have it running swell in short order I bet.

Well I've got good compression, good spark, and the carbs looked clean. Checked the linkage and didn't see anything (obvious) out of place. Tomorrow I'll pick up new spark plugs and a primer bulb (since mine has some small surface tears - wondering if air could be entering my lines through a small pinhole). Keeping my fingers crossed that the combination of all of these things will do the trick.