1995 15hp 2stroke merc help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I need a bit of help on my outboard please.I want to change out the thermostat and impeller,it seems easy to me.It seems like you don't need any special gasket sealer or anything like that.So here is my question.

Do i just take out the old thermostat put the new gasket on and replace it?Do i need to put any grease on it at all like a new impeller?Do i need to put any gasket sealer on it or the gasket itself is all it needs?

On the impeller it just seems so easy to do but it's never that easy.My local marina wants to chasrge me an hr labor on it when i have seen it done on youtube by a guy who does his own maintenance on his 15hp merc in under 20 minutes,that seems a bit much.

From what i have seen you just pop the shift linkage,take off the little black part that is located on the shift linkage to shift the motor up and down,take the 3 bolts off,lower the lower unit,switch out the impeller and put some grease on it,i may do the whole kit,i'm not sure.It is a 95 and near 20 yrs old so i wonder if i should just do the impeller or the whole thing.I just got the motor and i'm de greasing it(whole motor for grease and grime)Then i'm going to get new gas and oil and start it for the first time.

I haven't started the motor yet since i have had it so it may have good strong running water.Should i still change all these things out even if it pees good water because i don't know when it was last done?

Any help would be great,thanks.

Latest posts