1980 35HP Johnson Long Shaft tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatinIdaho

Reaction score
Hi and yeah another new guy with a question :roll:
So anyway I know I should just get a different engine but been looking to trade mine for over a month and no takers. Plenty of offers to sell it outright though!
Problem is I cant do that as I need to have a engine as I use the boat 4 or 5 times a week and finding what I need seems impossible!

Been looking at parts diagrams and searching but not coming up with anything about part numbers to change my engine to a short shaft.
Probably no way to do it but thought I would ask first before I give up on the idea.
The boat it is on is a 1956 Crestliner 14.6 Viking with a short transom. The engine will push the boat at 27mph(gps) with 2 adults and some gear. Im guessing 450ish lbs
So it does ok but its just not a right setup and that kinda bugs me.
I know ppl will say just get a short shaft engine but finding a affordable 35/50hp short shaft tiller is impossible it seems so.
Can it be changed to short shaft?

Oh also J35ELCSM is the model number

Attachments

• IMG_20140625_192915_052.jpg
    IMG_20140625_192915_052.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 729
Hard to tell from your picture but your motor doesn't seem to be excessively below the bottom of your boat. It looks about right to me.

Anyhow, have you considered raising the transom? Not the best way but there's no real down side as far as resale value of the boat goes.

Well I did raise the transom as a temp fix but it really is a 15in transom to get me by this summer. Plan is to put it back the way it was if I can do something with the engine this winter when I also plan to redo the interior.

Man I got to say. This seems to be the best forum I have seen for ideas and knowledge and so glad I found it!!!!!

Seems as if you want to keep your classic hull fairly intact. That's good.
The answer is yes, you can change it from a long to a short shaft. The best way for you to do this is to
find a short shaft donor or parts engine. One with a blown powerhead and/or gearcase. These engines are plentiful so a donor should be not too hard to locate.
Everything but the driveshaft will be with the donor probably. Ask local dealers or get on the web and search.
Your engine does not have the separate 5" extension so it is not an easy task otherwise.

Yeah been looking for over a month now.

So looking at ebay im seeing there are a few parts I need there.
Im assuming I need the housing, driveshaft, shifter rod and the plastic driveshaft cover. The water tube should be easy to make and the shift rod I could cut down if I had to. Looks like its about a $250.00 job if this is all I need?

Actually much easier than what you are thinking.
The donor engine will probably only have two pieces removed. The powerhead and the gearcase.
The complete mid-section should be intact. Bolt yours on with a new driveshaft and you are there.

When you are looking in Ebay and seeing parts and pieces of an engine like yours ask the sellers if they have any complete midsections.

Latest posts