1955 evenruide 3.0hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireball1983

Reaction score
I have an out board old 3.0 hp that calls for 24:1 ratio oil mix, do I still need to go by that ratio or does the newer oil mix allow you to decrease the oil mix ratio. every time I run it, It smokes really bad.but I will stay with that oil mix ratio if that is what it should be.While I run it in a barrel the oil that builds up in the water is a lot.does any one else have one of these older motors that calls for the heaver oil ratio mix that has used a smaller oil mix

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359196#p359196 said:
fireball1983 » 4 minutes ago[/url]"]I have an out board old 3.0 hp that calls for 24:1 ratio oil mix, do I still need to go by that ratio or does the newer oil mix allow you to decrease the oil mix ratio. every time I run it, It smokes really bad.but I will stay with that oil mix ratio if that is what it should be.While I run it in a barrel the oil that builds up in the water is a lot.does any one else have one of these older motors that calls for the heaver oil ratio mix that has used a smaller oil mix

This is always a heavily debated topic on the antique outboards motor club forum. :wink:

By all means stay with the 24:1 ratio. Use a good outboard oil.
The main reason you are seeing a sheen on the water surface is because these old engines never had a recirculation system on them. No need back then.
If you are seeing smoke and a lot of sheen then slowly lean the engine until the highest rpm is obtained and richen again just slightly. Do this on both the high speed and the low speed circuits. On the low speed do this at a very low rpm. You will know you are close when the engine stumbles just a touch when you nail the throttle. Most of the smoke will go away. Wasn't much of a lower crankcase seal on them either. On the positive side they run like Swiss Watches as a whole and you can troll with them all day long.
I have a well tuned '56 that exhibits very little smoke at a steady rpm.

I will stay at the mix ratio,however Im having a little trouble on the low side at idle having a hard time finding how to adjust it to idle at a slow speed. when i turn the low speed jet down or up from 1 1/2 turns from seat,I cant get it to idle it wants to surge or just die.I have to readjust the control handle back up to almost the start position. Im trying to get it to idle real low when the handle is far to the left,but dont know how.....

Stay with the 24 to 1 ratio. I have had 4 of those little motors and used that formula without any problems with any of them. Good little units. I run my '57 Evinrude 18hp on that same mix.

three 3hp evinrude edit.jpg

and...uh...by the way...

you might want to wear protective equipment when you operate one those things.

I believe they are addictive. :?