15hp 2stroke merc carb

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Well i just started my new to me 15hp 2stroke merc and low and behold it leaks gas from i believe the primer gasket.It runs really awesome except for that.I looked online and i was thinking about just replacing the whole carb,it seems it's only $209 from boats.net and i would know it's all brand new and never been used.Does that price sound about right for a whole brand new carb.I guess all i would need to do is swap them out if this is correct,i have a service manual and i know it comes out pretty easy.I have never took one apart or ever rebuilt one.

Can anyone tell me what comes in a rebuild kit?I believe all i need is to replace all the gaskets and that's it.But i'm not to sure.I know when i pump up the ball and pressure finally hits the carb it seems to leak out gas from that area between the primer gasket and the bowl.When i push down on the primer button and continue to push and push it squirts out gas so i would think that is the only spot but this is my personal outboard and i don't want to screw things up.

I only fig on swapping it the carb out because it's near 20yrs old,so for only $209 as long as it's a complete carb why not.Take a few bolts off,new gasket were the carb goes and bolt back on,can't be to hard,does anyone think i may be going overboard on this and have it checked out to see exactly what it is or just go with a new carb?

I don't think it's anything but the gaskets.But i may as well have my local marina check it out.

So i looked online and i saw what i need,i wonder if i should just get a whole carb kit on it or just replace what the issue is and that's it?

So i just called boats.net to see how much a new carb kit is,it's $65,a brand new carb out of the box,not a remaned is only $228 delivered to my door.All i have to do is bolt it on and go and then i have a spare carb with the one i'm taking off.

I don't know but it seems to make more sense to go with a brand new carb,any opinions on this at all?I will get the water pump impeller done at my local marina for a hair over $100 or i may do it myself.As far as a carb i would like to hear feedback on this.

Well i broke down and bought a carb kit,all the gaskets and diaphragm kit.The primer diaphragm was ripped under the cover and worn out so i hope that is what caused my gas leak.It's all replaced now along with all the other gaskets on it.

So i ask would a worn out diaphragm with tears in it cause a gas leak from the primer area?

I'm new to this but the carb rebuild was a piece of cake.If i had known it was this easy i would of never stressed this bad.Monday i'm going to tackle putting a new impeller and thermostat in,that should be interesting.

ok i need some help with the low speed mixture adjustment.what is the best way to set this mixture?Any help on this please?I have a manual but it has several different ways to do it and i'm a bit confused.Maybe someone can help me on this.Does someone have this motor and has done it before maybe.It seems to run good when i had it going but i don't know if it was set to lean or rich and i have no idea what the last person did to it before i got it.

How would i know if it's running to lean or rich.It says run it a bit richer if i don't know for sure so i'm trying to find out what i may experience whether it's running to lean or rich and i can meet it in the middle.

Any tips on this please.

Latest posts