Evinrude Tilt/Trim Compatibility Question & OMC Derating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kofkorn

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I scored a great Craigslist find this weekend. I picked up a 1985 Evinrude 50hp from the next town over for $100. It was run about 4 years ago and placed in the garage when a new motor was added. It was advertised as a 70 hp (owner sold a couple of motors that day), but had the cover of a 60 hp on it. I was expecting to buy a 60 when I got there, but found out by looking at the serial number that it was actually a 50. Oh well, don't look a gift horse in the mouth right? I handed him the $100, put it in my truck and drove off as quickly as I could to make sure that he didnt' change his mind :)

01717_GHz9LUA6K4_600x450.jpgIMG_20140712_230433.jpg

I haven't done a whole lot with it yet other than remove it from my truck, but I'm comfortable with the fact that even if it's impossible to get it running, it's easily worth more than $100 in parts alone. I need to get it mounted on my stand so I can work on it a bit. First thing I'm going to do is drop the lower unit and inspect / replace the impeller. It didn't come with compatible controls, so won't be able to easily start it without hooking it up to my boat, but I'll give it thorough cleaning and check over before going that far.

So here's the issue. I'm currently running an '89 40 hp Evinrude with tilt & trim on it. I would really like to put tilt & trim on this motor, but unfortunately the T&T on the 40 won't fit on 50. I've seen a number of T&T units on Ebay that could work, but most of the ads don't give any model number, only the motor it came off of or a few compatible models. Does anyone know of the compatibility of this motor with others as related to the T&T?

As a second more general question, what would most of you do: 40 HP with power T&T or 50 HP with Manual tilt?

Also when I looked up the model number it shows up as a Belgium Derated motor. Does anyone know what was done to derate it? How easy to bump it back up to the normal rating?

Any lines on a compatible tilt/trim or controls would be appreciated. Not sure how much I'm going to spend until I get it running though.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 00N0N_31cGEEg0KF7_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_31cGEEg0KF7_600x450.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 849
That 2cly 50 is the same block as the 45SS race motor used in the SST class. They used the 60 powerhead exactly except for the rods were missing the oiling holes on the cap. The 50 and 60 are almost the same. They were under rated and I've heard a 60 is more like 72 hp. That 50 will blow the doors off of your 40 if that helps. I did the power trim swap onto my 60. It's the same trim from 60-140 so they are easy to find.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that the T&T units are similar across all the models. It is what I was noticing during my search but I couldn't easily find model numbers. The only thing that looks weird is that in the online part searches, it appears this normally uses a dual ram system that sits outboard of the transom bracket. Will it still be compatible with the normal T&T units?

When I was doing some P/N searches online, the only difference in part numbers that stood out was that the cylinder heads were different. Not sure how, but I was wondering if they reduced the compression to reduce the HP.

I'll keep an eye out for trim units.

Thanks!

Look for the outboard twin cylinder unit. I don't think it was available for a 50 so look 60-140. I would not worry about the lower compression head unless you want to bump it but the carb jets need to be from a 60. I never fooled with a single ram race trim. I don't know if it will work but it has to be lighter than the twin unit. I can walk you thru the swap when you find one. It's all bolt on and easy but there are a few tidbits.

Latest posts