Single coil under dual piston 2 stoke? 2 External coils?!?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CompleteIdiot

Reaction score
Hello all, got a confusing one here. I am indeed a complete idiot. Just purchased a really bad boat, and it's starting to look like I just also purchased a really bad motor for the boat. At least they match!

Anyways, I wasn't getting spark, so I pulled the flywheel to see, only 1 coil. Then I noticed 2 coils at the front of the motor by the spark plus. No idea what's going on here, but it doesn't look like any of the pictures I have seen.

We think this is a 18 HP 68ish, something. (Even though the cover says 25)

What do you guys think? Purchase all new coils, condensers, points, and start fresh? Or is this something special? I have a feeling it's all just junk. :(

Thanks!

The two coils on the outside are your ignition coils. The one inside is like a generator. Replace points.

Do you have any id numbers for the motor?

I don't know, but it looks pretty weird to me (but that's not saying much). :LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359752#p359752 said:
Pappy » 16 Jul 2014, 21:24[/url]"]Would offer assistance on this but I think I will let our new resident expert stay on this one...............Note first words are replace rather than check.
Pull your Depends off, untie the knot and put them back on with the petite label in the rear. Not everybody lives off of a government check like you so I think the guy that doesn't know the difference between coils may be better served to swing the nine bucks for a new set to make sure he's good to go.
I wondered why participation on this site was low......

What is the deal with this motor? I haven't seen this configuration.

I am guessing the external coils are charged by the internal coil and then the collapse is still controlled by the points?
Where can I get more info about this setup?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359907#p359907 said:
SumDumGuy » 17 Jul 2014, 23:00[/url]"]What is the deal with this motor? I haven't seen this configuration.

I am guessing the external coils are charged by the internal coil and then the collapse is still controlled by the points?
Where can I get more info about this setup?
You got it. Remember this system does not have a battery so the juice for the ignition coils comes from somewhere. In this case it generates it's own juice by passing magnets that are mounted inside the flywheel past the magneto coil. Points close and the juice from the magneto coil and condenser charge the primary ignition coils. Points open and the collapsing field builds a field in the secondary coil windings. It's automatic from here because that field collapses and produces the high voltage to jump the plug gap.

Latest posts