New guy, need help getting a decent motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnsboat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an old 12 ft sears modified v, I have an electric but need a gas motor as I boat on the ohio river and the electric has a little trouble with the current.

I cannot afford a new motor, unless I buy a Chinese hangkai....

What do you guys suggest? I need dependable and able to move boat upriver, and all that for 500$ or less.

Maintenance is not a problem, however, I dont want OR need a rebuild project (we have enough of those!)

Thanks for your time and help,

John

Let me ask this way:

From what I have read a 60/70s OMC (Johnson/evinrude) would be a good dependable motor.

Would 3.5 horse be a good minimum size, up to a target around 5-6?

Just a basic 12 ft johnboat, only swivel seats added.

Thanks!

I have a '55 10hp Johnson and a '53 15hp Evinrude that I would not be worried about having issues. I would go anywhere with these motors without worry of being stranded.
Of course I have done what you mentioned you don't want to do, got them free and cheap and fixed 'em up.

If I were you I would consider a 9.5-10hp motor if the weight was not too much.

Thanks for your reply.

I am going to look at a Johnson 6 hp tomorrow, not sure year, it is an older gentlemen in ohio that buys and rebuilds small motors, he says it is a nice motor. $350 so not bad I think.

$350 is good.

And, of course, the buyer's question needs to be asked: "What's the best price you can give me?"

Happy Trails.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360668#p360668 said:
Kismet » 23 Jul 2014, 16:44[/url]"]$350 is good.

And, of course, the buyer's question needs to be asked: "What's the best price you can give me?"

Happy Trails.

That is definitely true! I am a little concerned with weight and as always, horsepower equals $$$. He has some others available, a couple in the 9.9 range so will look at those also.

John

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360690#p360690 said:
BrazosDon » 23 Jul 2014, 18:08[/url]"]Weight and horsepower should be too much for that boat. IMHO Besides I don't like 12' boats. Dangerous!

I don't know about that. Done one heck of a lot of fishing from a 12 footer on lake Roosevelt back in the late 90s. Its all about commen sense!!

Johnsboat,

IF it was my 12ft boat, I would use it on farm ponds & small lakes with a GOOD trolling motor & buy myself a 14 or 16ft V-bottom by any reputable maker. = Personally, I'm afraid of 12ft boats out on any lake/creek/river where we are more than 50M to dry land.

Ignore the age of the "new to you" tin boat. - Only CONDITION counts.
(I know at least TEN "new tin boat guys" who have gotten a FREE & perfectly suitable tin boat to "get it out of my yard". = My friend Larry P_________ in northern VA was actually PAID 50.oo to haul away a 16ft "old school" 1960s John-boat on a usable Sears trailer. - He & Lisa painted the boat "army camo" & cleaned-up the trailer & have LESS than 100 bucks in their boat/trailer. Then Larry bought a 100.oo OMC 18HP & re-modeled it, for a total of @ 350.oo for everything.)

Note: IF remodeling a boat/motor/trailer was difficult, I couldn't do it as I'm NOT "handy". = Anyone who is of normal IQ, has 50.oo worth of hand tools, paint/brushes & some simple maintenance parts for the OB can do this hobby successfully.

Then I would acquire a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER from the library & read it carefully, cover to cover, BEFORE buying an outboard motor of ANY kind.
After that, I would start "haunting" outboard motor sales, garage sales & estate sales until I found a 1955-70 outboard by Evinrude, Gale, Johnson or SeaKing (paying from 10-150.oo for it!) that is COMPLETE, has GOOD COMPRESSION & then follow the directions in the CHEAP OUTBOARDS book to power your boat.

just my OPINIONS, satx

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360697#p360697 said:
satx78247 » July 23rd, 2014, 10:40 pm[/url]"]
Then I would acquire a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER from the library & read it carefully, cover to cover, BEFORE buying an outboard motor of ANY kind.
After that, I would start "haunting" outboard motor sales, garage sales & estate sales until I found a 1955-70 outboard by Evinrude, Gale, Johnson or SeaKing (paying from 10-150.oo for it!) that is COMPLETE, has GOOD COMPRESSION & then follow the directions in the CHEAP OUTBOARDS book to power your boat.

just my OPINIONS, satx

Last time I went to the library, (bout a month ago) I tried to find that book. would you believe they didn't carry it?.. O well. doing the best I can with what I have :) .

Y_J,

Well amazon.com frequently has the book for sale at a deep discount - My friend Larry got his there for 9.99 used, with free shipping.
(CHEAPSKATE that I am, I paid 5 bucks for mine off "the junk table" at GOODWILL for 5.oo & a buddy of mine bought a "library discard" at SAPL's BOOK CELLER for 99 cents in READABLE condition.)

yours, satx

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360714#p360714 said:
satx78247 » July 24th, 2014, 12:01 am[/url]"]Y_J,

Well amazon.com frequently has the book for sale at a deep discount - My friend Larry got his there for 9.99 used, with free shipping.
(CHEAPSKATE that I am, I paid 5 bucks for mine off "the junk table" at GOODWILL for 5.oo & a buddy of mine bought a "library discard" at SAPL's BOOK CELLER for 99 cents in READABLE condition.)

yours, satx
Gonna go check it out at Amazon.. Thanks for the tip...

even if you get it from a rebuilder MAKE SURE THE IMPELLER IS GOOD...

simple 15 minute inspection will be all that is required.

onthewater102,

Fwiw, I replace the impeller on all my "using" OBs every year regardless, as the rubber "takes a set".
(Impellers are CHEAP, when compared to repairing a powerhead.)

yours, satx

Overkill is under rated - but my comment was directed to
Johnsboat said:
...I am going to look at a Johnson 6 hp tomorrow, not sure year, it is an older gentlemen in ohio that buys and rebuilds small motors, he says it is a nice motor. $350 so not bad I think.

Update, I drove 30 minutes out of my way and the seller wasn't home - he had told me to call before hand in case he was out on a service call, so I did. He finally called me back from the horse track.

So, here's the rest of the story. I picked this boat up 5 years ago or so at a garage sale for $200. It came on a trailer with bad bearings (I fixed that) and with a trolling motor that does work and a 1964 3 hp Johnson Yachtwin that doesn't. On top of not working, my father in law (lives with us, great guy, 85 and still mowing pastures on the John Deere) took the motor apart.....a lot....and put pieces in various places, 98% of which I have found.

So I have done a little tinkering and the fuel lines not clogged, the pistons aren't seized, the gear oil in the lower end wasn't milky even though the drive is clunky to me....why not look for a carb, elec and impeller reuild kit at sierra marine?

I did and they will cost me about 20 bucks apiece.

I will be ordering cheap outboards and those pieces tonight. Any other recommendations on parts to replace while I am in there?

I do appreciate your advice on size and river. Yes, Ohio is a big river, I and my kids swim across and back annually, but it isn't like PatinIdaho's post about Lake Roosevelt, I am always within a half mile swim of the bank, if the oars break. Hey this thing is HUGE compared to my 10 foot flat bottom I rowed around the Ohio and Hocking when I was 12!

Thanks all!

John

I dunno, I'm not sure about those old 3 hp engines.

Maybe you should send it to me and I'll get back to you on it,

eventually.

three 3hp evinrude.jpg
:roll:

You are going to fall in love with it. I promise.
And I wondered about the weight of the 6hp

AND, don't ever compare the exploits you did when you were 12 (and lived)
to current behaviors. Every human male should have been killed about a
half-dozen times doing stuff they shouldn't have when they were kids; stuff
they never told their parents about. :mrgreen:

My dad bought an old 4hp Mercury from a guy who had on Facebook. Early 70's or late 60's model. For what he got it for, we figured on making a couple bucks on it. Plus dad likes to tinker with old stuff like that.

Anyway...he gave up on it. The carburetor was stupid. The bowl was separate from the carb, well sorta. Dumb design, IMO. Motor ran good but would sometimes flood, needle valve leaking. I replaced the needle and seat assembly, twice. And gaskets. Full carb kit that last time, and it seemed to do ok the few times I ran it. Anyway, a guy my brother works with was looking for a little motor like that and dad told him it was for sale, so the guy ended up buying it for what dad had in it. I did most of the work though, but let dad have the money.

So the guy bought it and loved it, said it moved him and his 12' flat bottom just fine. About a month or so ago, he goes over to the lake that he's fished about a zillion times and in the afternoon a shower pops up like sometimes happens here. He couldn't get the motor to start, flooded again. Wind picked up, tossed the boat around, he came out and drowned.

After that deal, I will NOT buy another Mercury outboard, period. I've had nothing but trouble with them. Had a 9.8, a 90 (3 cyl), 140 (1400) inline, that 4hp, a 15, and most recently a 2001 model 25. Had to work on every one of them to keep 'em running. And I've also got an old 9.9 Evinrude (1986), and work on it more than use it. And also have a 15 hp electric start as of today, and hate it already. Stop button died and no spark. Luckily I'm familiar with outboards and can do a lot right on the lake, but that takes time away from fishin'.

So sometimes you have to ask yourself, do you want to fix it continually or do you want to have confidence in your equipment? On a river like the Ohio, I'd want the latter-especially on a small boat.

Thanks for the advice on the oubtoards, and the war stories. Well....the outboards.

I understand you guys are trying to help with the new guy - and I am in no way an expert, but I have been on this river for over 40 years. I understand safety more than most of you as a former military pilot. I can read a weather map, I can wear a lifejacket (and do).

As for war stories, I've had the experience of seeing professionals make stupid mistakes that took their lives, that is why planning and common sense are important. Why I asked your opinion on a motor for my boat. Yes, it says max HP 9.9 but I was leary of that heavy of a motor, why I posted for your advice.

Do not take the above as cockiness, just trying to keep on topic.

Parts ordered last night for the 3 horse. Looks like I am doing a project now (already violating my first post).

Thanks,

I'll post up my work along the way.

John

Johnsboat,

My guess is that you'll get "good service" from that old 3HP Evinrude AND that (if you're at all like me) that you'll keep it permanently as your "first OB restoration project".
(The first "cheap outboard" that I bought "to mess about with" is a 1955 Johnson CD-12, for which I paid "the princely sum of 20 bucks" at a garage sale & spent about 150.oo rehabbing. = Money wouldn't buy it, as doing the rehab convinced me that I could become more self-reliant. - I'm not a "mechanic" by any stretch of the imagination.)

BEST WISHES, satx