1960 Johnson 10 Horse Power Motor (PROPELLER)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotafish

Reaction score
I bought this motor without a Propeller, I am trying to find the right one for it, While looking it seems The Pitch is what I need to know, There are 3 for it available, Can anyone help me determine which would be the right one for this motor, I would like to get the same one that came with it, but I dont know what that is, My Boat is a 1972 Sea Nymph 12 Foot Aluminum, Very Light boat, I would like to have the boat plane out, I weigh 130 lbs, and will only have me and another in it usually, 3 tops so its always light, The Propeller I am looking at is 8 1/4 diameter x 8 1/2 Pitch, I would like to buy this as soon as I can, so any info would be greatly appreciated. I also need the nut or whatever else goes with it, cone etc,, all that is there is the shaft it goes on, as it was stolen before I bought it, and if you could tell me exactly what else I would need to buy to get it in the water, Btw all else is great with it, Runs Good.... Thank You for your time.....

This is a website that will show you the parts you need:

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1960&hp=10

They list 4 models of 10HP for 1960 and they all take a 8-1/4" X 8" three bladed prop.

Take the numbers they list and check EBay. There are a few outboard parts recyclers. You should be able to find all the parts you need.
You will need the prop, the shear pin, the center nut and a cotter pin. The prop and the nut are the only unique items, as your local outboard shop will have the shear pin and the cotter pin can be found at any hardware store.

I just bought a prop for my 1975 25HP Evinrude on EBay for $50 delivered.

Thank You Very Much for the Info... If I may ask one more question???, I see that the Prop is 8 1/4 x 8, Can I Use an 8 1/4 x 8 1/2,,, and if so, how would it effect the Performance, And would this be advisable for me to do.....

As long as the filament is the same, Yes.
I doubt you will be able to discern the differences with out a tachometer and a speedometer. You can use a GPS to measure your speed. I have a hand-held Garmin which reads speed to .1 MPH.

As far as Pitch - the higher the number the faster it will go and inversely the lower the number the harder it will pull.
If you have a heavily loaded boat, go lower pitch - need more speed (and are willing to sacrifice the hole shot) go higher.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts