What is this hole and why is there oil leaking out of it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natetrack

Reaction score
The subject explains what I'm looking for. The motor is a mercury 25 horse tiller serial number A709604.

Any help? Suggestions?

The hole is located up and to the right of the vent screw in the lower unit, it didn't leek before i put it in the lake today, but now it does.

Attachments

• 0615081451a.jpg
    0615081451a.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 857
I am not familiar with mercs, but the Johnson/Evinrude motors have a vent hole that allows water and unburnt 2 stroke oil to exit the midsection and exhaust housing. Contrarily, yours looks a little lower than what that should be, but as I said, I don't know the insides of mercs. Also, that oil looks a little thick for unburned oil and soot. Maybe it is just a bad picture, I can't quite tell.

After doing some checking, i have a torn boot on my shift linkage and this is lower unit oil that is leaking out of the vent hole.

Heres a pic of my Johnson 20hp. The hole in pic had a milky discharge also. Found out is what bassboy was refuring too.

Attachments

• lower1em.jpg
    lower1em.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 843
sccamper said:
Heres a pic of my Johnson 20hp. The hole in pic had a milky discharge also. Found out is what bassboy was refuring too.

I had a milky discharge once in college...a little penicillan will clear it right up. :sick:

Latest posts