73 Chrysler 12.9question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfan84

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm from south central wisconsin and just bought a 73 Chrysler 12.9 picked up fairly cheap need a new recoil the linkage for the carbs and the carbs cleaned dunno if it needs anything else trying to figure out if this is something I should try on my own or have someone do it for me don't know anything about outboard motors but seems like mechanics either over charge or don't fix it properly also don't wanna be that guy at the dock cranking on his motor for an hour... I also know a lot of people talk bad about the Chrysler motor but the price was right so if I have to sink a couple hundred into it I don't really mind to much. Any advice or input would be appreciated so far you guys have been very informative an helpful thanks for your time

The Chrysler motors are very simple motors and reliable once they are properly tuned. They will last for years if taken care of. They get their bad rep. from the US Marine Force Motors that had junk components ( Carb kits/Ignitions ). I do not own a Chrysler personally but I would not be afraid to buy a smaller horsepower motor. If their is an expert on these motors it would be this guy. https://www.youtube.com/user/chrysleroutboarddude/featured I would do the basics first, Clean the carb, New impellor, Fresh gas to see if it starts, If not check for spark, If no spark, Tune up the ignition ( Check the points, coils, condensers, plugs, & wiring ). Also check all of the fuel hoses & the fuel pump too.

Latest posts