1987 6HP Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heron2000

Reaction score
got this engine running good at idle and at top speed - the problem I have is going from idle to top speed - it sometimes acts like it's not getting gas or it dies.
it starts right up again and if I go from idle to top speed it goes most of the time - other times it dies or won't run good at medium speed.

What do you think it is

I rebuilt the fuel pump, put a new enricher on - have not rebuilt the carb

Probably something gumming up in one of the little holes in the throat of the carb. There are usually two or three holes right near where the butterfly valve contacts the carb body when the valve is closed. the first hole is the one that is used while at idle. Once the butterfly valve starts opening, there is enough air moving by to start sucking fuel from the holes behind the valve plate. Once the valve gets about 1/3 to 1/2 open, it starts pulling fuel up from the main jet.

I would guess you've got a small piece of something stuck in the second hole (or third if it exists) behind your throttle plate. You might be able to dislodge it by removing the idle needle screw (Make sure you know the current position) and blowing backward through the little holes with some carb cleaner. If not, you could try using a VERY small pin or needle to push into each hole.

Try clearing the low speed circuit out and give it another run.

Good luck!

Latest posts