1955 Mercury 55E 40 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasLoneStar56

Reaction score
Well, here it is boys! Straight out of the storage, where it's been for 20+ years. Dusty, dirty, outside rust, not to mention the spider webs. :?

The rust is from some old shovels hanging overhead. I tried a little place with scotch bright yesterday. It will be easy to remove. Looked under the cowling to find even more spider webs. Of course, the old belt is dry and broke, but I can get another one for about $37. I'm sure that's not all I'll have to buy. :roll:

Sorry about the bad pics. I'll take more with a real camera, after I clean her up.

:) :)

Keith
Texas

Attachments

• Mercury Mark55E 1 8.12.14.jpg
    Mercury Mark55E 1 8.12.14.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,403
You can see the boat it goes on at:
Boat House

Lone Star 1956 Restore

It's the original motor that came on the boat. :D

Comments Welcome! 8)

Keith
Texas

Crazyman,

That is a nice one! :mrgreen: I can only hope to see ours looking as good as yours (and running)!

I haven't even begun to tear in to the motor, so I know I can use all the advice I can get, and very appreciative.

What about that tool you mentioned? How'd you make it?

Thanks!
:) :)

Once you drop the lower unit the water pump is under the cover that the drive shaft comes up through.You should see 2 holes in the cover which you have to unthread to get to impeller.
I took a washer & drilled 2 holes the distance of the 2 holes in the cover & put pins in them & a handle on the washer to make a spanner wrench.Tig welded everything together.

TexasLoneStar
Here's a link to a thread on the AOMCi website that shows a spanner wrench made from
a cresent wrench.
HTH

https://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1373581906/7#7

Good Luck with Your motor!

Steve A W

Steve,

Thank you for that info. I appreciate it. =D> I will look it up. Have all kinds of tools, just not that one!

Thank you again!
Keith

Crazyman,

Thank you for the info. =D> I did pull up the other link and read it too. Between the two, I got some fantastic information on how to make the tool, and knowing it is a left hand thread. I'd have been like the guy from Canada trying to figure out why I couldn't get it off. #-o

Before it's all said and done, I'm sure I will be full of questions. Right now, I'm cleaning it up real good to see where and how everything works. I have a general idea, but ya never know with these old motors at what might come up.

Thanks again!
Keith

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=363240#p363240 said:
crazymanme2 » 13 Aug 2014, 16:52[/url]"]Here's a pic of my 55E

Crazyman,

I've got a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.

1.) I see that yours has a tiller handle. Ours has the cable going up to the control box. It has a push button and should have a key switch, but it's gone. My questions is: what are the 2 holes in the front lower cowl for? Another set - push button choke/throttle and key switch?

2.) This one is missing the choke solenoid and a couple of parts to it. Seems like the carbs should have covers on them. Is that right?

3.) Missing the distributor cover bracket. I see on on ebay for about $30. Can't find one anywhere else. Is this a necessity?

I appreciate the advise, not only from you, but anyone else that wants to chime in.

Thanks!
Keith

Attachments

• 1955 Mercury Mark 55E 9.16.2014 4.jpg
    1955 Mercury Mark 55E 9.16.2014 4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,234
These pics make it look really gummed up but it's not. The glare from the sun in the window put a yellowish tint to everything. (sorry)

This pic shows the 2 holes that I mentioned.

Attachments

• 1955 Mercury Mark 55E 9.16.2014 7.jpg
    1955 Mercury Mark 55E 9.16.2014 7.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,232
[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366648#p366648 said:
crazymanme2 » 20 Sep 2014, 20:48[/url]"]The opening next to the fuel is for the electrical & the other is for adjustments.That's how a doner parts motor is.

I guess I'm a bit confused. All the electrical runs through the harness, then leads along the side to the control box. What kind of adjustments are you talking about?
So yours was a donor parts motor?

I think I've confused myself. #-o Must be different than yours because of the leads going to the control box in lieu of stick steer.

Ordered a few parts and got them in Friday. Have already put in the fuel pump kit. Got a new belt, but have to get the nut of the flywheel first. :x gggrrr It's been "soaking" with lubricant since Friday. I think this one is going to have to have a bit more "umf" than just arm strength. Hello air tools! I know it's going to be even tougher to get the flywheel off, but got to do it.

The carbs will be the next big thing. Then hoses, etc... My winter project is underway! Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it. 8)

Keith

Latest posts