1985 Merc 18XD motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Reaction score
Mercury 18xd 1985 outboard motor. Can anybody give me any insight to this Motor. I am considering buying one.

I've got a Mariner 20XD (basically the same thing). It's a beast of a motor - a little quirky to understand how to start reliably, but once you're familiar with them they start on the first pull most times. I posted my starting procedure for someone earlier today.

I had a lot of rebuilding to do with mine, for the most part parts are readily available (some of the cast parts are out of production now, so you can't buy a carburetor body but you can buy every part that attaches to it.)

extra durable according to a 1985 Mercury sales catalog - at least that's what Google tells me...

I may be mistaken but I was under the impression that all the XD models also had the shift in the throttle grip, but maybe it's just been the ones I've seen so far.

Mine is a tiller and the shift is separate from the throttle on the side of the powerhead. Even though mine is a pull start though it does have a kill switch button at the end of the tiller which I didn't realize initially.

I was trying to adjust the throttle so that in it's lowest position I could kill the motor and in its highest I could get it wide open (similar to the setup on my '55 johnson). Needless to say it didn't work nicely, and that button is the reason why...it wasn't designed to be possible...Now I've got it to where it purrs like a kitten at idle and still screams @ WOT.

Latest posts