15hp to 20hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLASTNCAST

Reaction score
I know that larger motors ECU can be "remapped". But I have had trouble finding out about small outboards like my mercury 4 stroke 15hp. It is the exact same block etc. as the 20hp. Does anybody know about this? It seems remapping would be the cheapest route to get my 1448 Griz up on plane a little easier with all of the gear me and my son cart around

Don't know about the Merc's (Tohatsu) but the Yammie 15 and 20 are the exact same motor; carburetor being the only difference I know of. I had a 2004 15 and was HIGHLY impressed with it's performance, given how heavy my boat is.

Remapping the ECU? On EFI motors, seems like nobody wants to mess with the little motors. If it ain't 150 hp, it's a lot harder to find people to mess with 'em. Not impossible but harder.

Perhaps looking on Boats.net at each motor (15 and 20hp) and then compare the part numbers. That will tell you which one is different in which way. It might be as simple as the throttle assembly, or it might have a limiter somewhere, or perhaps the CDI/ECU is different between the two.

Latest posts