Value of Mercury 9.8, 2 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwphoto

Reaction score
Hi folks:

Could somebody tell me the value of a pristine condition Mercury 9.8 short shaft? The motor has four hours on and, and has been sitting in a garage for years. It looks absolutely new. The paint has not even wore off on the prop. Looks like it's been a vacuum time capsule. I'm guessing maybe $5-$600? I think it's a 1985 model. Unit is located up in Alaska, so they may add to value. Local to me at least.

Thanks,

Troy

IMO The value can be affected by a lot of things. Location and time of year being two big ones. Other things to consider on a motor that has been in storage for a long time, wiring could have been eaten by mice, and all rubber parts are prone to dry rot and possibly needing replacement, fuel pump and carb may both need to be rebuilt. Even though that motor has low hours on it, if it was run in salt water, it could be is need of even more parts replacement. Bottom line, you can't judge a motor by looks alone. All that aside, if that motor was in good running condition, your estimate would be about right for my area.

Thanks Michael. Never in saltwater, and stored in a heated garage. I had the cover off, and everything looks brand-new. I agree with you that sometimes when things sit without use it can do more damage. I'm sure there was residual gas in the lines, and in the carburetor, which over time can gum up. I've certainly seen this in lawnmower engines and so forth. This is however a two-stroke, so it has the advantage of oil in the gas to combat corrosion. I kind of set my sights on a four stroke, but was just curious as to the value of this old engine.

Thx,

Troy

Nice find.
In the past I have done really well with 'pristine' outboards. This happens more than you would think. Someone buys a motor and just puts it away never using it. Sooner or later it comes out of the basement.

Your motor, as you described it, will bring at least 600 from someone faced with current engine prices. What the heck...600 won't even buy a tank of heating oil. If a guy is looking at a new motor for $2000...he'd sure spend a little time looking at yours for $1000.

Make sure the engine is properly advertised, spotless, displayed in a nice location, on a nice stand, with a clean fuel tank sitting there full. Don't show it laying in your garage surrounded by a bunch of other stuff and all covered with dust. Don't try to sell it until it runs as good as it looks.

If he likes it enough to wanna hear it run, put the engine on a little 12ft and take Mr. Customer out for a spin. As soon as you tie up, ask him if he'd like to take it home. Ask for the sale.

A couple of years ago I turned up a 2007 9.9hp Johnson 2stroke longshaft. It had never even been started. I didn't think twice about spending a grand on that. I turned it around and made a good week's pay. The buyer drove 300 mi round trip to get it...said he was glad to find it. You can get ahead on your bills with a pristine 10hp Merc.

Never mind the haters out there who will sneer at your price "for that old thing". They are likely just mad they didn't find it before you did.

Latest posts