Opinions on Force 15hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infernoxd45

Reaction score
I found this on the local craigslist and was thinking about picking it up for my 14' alumacraft. To quote the seller "Force 15hp outboard. Does not run right, heats up. Model 153F90D, selling for parts with tank and hose"
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409065724.878361.jpg
What do you guys think? Any experience with this type of motor? He's only asking 125..

I owned a couple of older ones. When they were running, they were fine. I had one overheat on me and the only way I was able to fix it was finding a parts motor. In this case, unless you're buying a pair of them, it may be very difficult to repair this one. By the time this motor was built, Force was not a popular brand and these motors are difficult to come by.

Your call, but I'd probably keep my eyes open for a Johnson or Evinrude in the same condition. It'll be far easier to find parts.

Good luck!

kofkorn said:
I owned a couple of older ones. When they were running, they were fine. I had one overheat on me and the only way I was able to fix it was finding a parts motor. In this case, unless you're buying a pair of them, it may be very difficult to repair this one. By the time this motor was built, Force was not a popular brand and these motors are difficult to come by.

Your call, but I'd probably keep my eyes open for a Johnson or Evinrude in the same condition. It'll be far easier to find parts.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info..
What did you find the problem to be when yours was over heating?

Honestly, when I overheated it I found a second motor shortly after and just used the overheated one as a parts motor. Never bothered digging into it. The motor I had a was a salt-water motor, and in '87, they still didn't have pee hole. The water pump was new, but it could have been blockages or issues in the cooling circuit due to corrosion.

Latest posts