Tach options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwesthunter

Reaction score
I know there is the Tiny Tach, i'm looking to see what durability/battery life are like on these. And also how they are hooked up, I've dealt with small block Chevy and ford motors but never outboards in this aspect. I run a 1975 50 horse merc. If anyone can provide a little insight it would be greatly appreciated. If any one has other options for tachs they like better please share i'm all ears.

Thanks all,

I don't have the Tiny Tach but a different led type. You wrap the wire around the spark plug wire. How long do they last, good question.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364650#p364650 said:
DrNip » 27 Aug 2014, 15:26[/url]"]I don't have the Tiny Tach but a different led type. You wrap the wire around the spark plug wire. How long do they last, good question.

Dr Nip, what brand did you buy?

I've had a tinytach on one of my generators, put it on when it was bought new at the dealer I was working at. Just wrap the wire around the plug wire and that's it. That was in Feb of 2013.

6 months later I bought another smaller generator that is much lighter weight (about 60 lbs) and put one on it as well, but this one is a Sendec brand. Tach/hourmeter just like a tinytach. It's still reading as well.

Battery life is a non-issue, IMO. ANY tach (that is accurate) is better than nothing.

Don't remember the brand name. It was half as much in price. Here is a pic.

image.jpg

My tracker being a console boat what are the rules concerning extending the lead? I'd like to mount on my dash if at all possible.

You can order the TinyTach with a 15ft lead. Take care not to wrap it more than twice around the spark plug lead. Otherwise it generates too much current for the tach to handle. You wind up calling the Factory tech line. They tell you to peel back the sticker, slip in a knife blade to reset the unit.
Another tip on those. Keep the signal wire away from any other plug wires. It will pick up double signals and throw off the reading.
Great tool, easy to use. Worth its weight in rpm's...

Latest posts