1993 Johnson 3hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsouthfisherman

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 1961 1230 that was my wife's grandfather. I've used it pretty heavy this year using a 38 trolling motor. I have wanted to get a small outboard and found a 1993 Johnson 3hp. It runs great but the clutch hub is rusted to the drive shaft and I'm unable to get the metal spline that runs through the plastic hub off of the smooth drive shaft. So unless I can get it off motor will be unusable due to the fact that you can not longer get the drive shaft. The thing will not budge. In the first picture you can see the new hub on the left and on the right is the old one. In the other picture you can see how the metal insert of the plastic hub is rusted onto the drive shaft. I'm hoping the nice old man did not know this when he sold it to me. This is my first post so go easy on me. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 1409334270160.jpg
    1409334270160.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 515
That is the propshaft.
Ditto on the cutting wheel. Easiest and safest way to do it.
Cut as deep as you safely can then pry apart with a flat blade screwdriver.
Make sure you grease the next one!! Check frequently for fish line as well.
Am assuming you have checked the gearcase for water, changed the water pump impeller?
If not those items are due to be done.

Latest posts