Gear lube question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwphoto

Reaction score
Hi folks:

Is the gear lube designed for lower units any different than automotive 80-90 weight automotive differentials use? It seems if it says "Marine" on the label they doubled the price. Is there any advantage to using the synthetic if the oil is changed once a year? I typically do about 50 hours per year. Short season here. Automotive lube is left in the car for years with no apparent problem, so would seem like a waste of money to buy more expensive synthetic in this case.

Also, will a standard Marine grease work on "O" rings and such when replacing impellers and seals? This is another item that seems to cost four times the price because it says Mercuy Lube on it. Is this just a standard lithium grease or what is the stuff? Is there some generic brand I can buy at an automotive store?

Thanks,

Troy

Marine gear oil is lower foaming, and better emulsifies (mixes) with water to hold it in suspension should any water get in there...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365008#p365008 said:
NautiBuoys » 31 Aug 2014, 15:51[/url]"]Marine gear oil is lower foaming, and better emulsifies (mixes) with water to hold it in suspension should any water get in there...

Curious, I did not know that. Thanks. So worth the extra $$ in this case.

Troy

Latest posts