Which controls for 95 Johnson 130

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
I am in the process of rigging my sea ark with controls that came off of a bass boat (the flush mount kind). I don't know if they will work on my center console. I may have to buy a binnacle or side mount control box to make it work for my application. My question is, which control box will work for my 1995 Johnson 130? Are they compatible with multiple year ranges and HPs? I can't seem to find a straight forward answer anywhere

From the mid-70's on there are three versions of controls for the Evinrudes/Johnsons. You'll only need to worry about the second two:

1) Mid 70's to late 70's ('79 I believe) - Control handle directions and cable travel are compatible through today. In 1979, the cable ends changed style. They still fit, but a clip was removed. Electrical connection is with the Big Round Red Plug, compatible from mid-70's until 1995. In 1996 the plug changed to the small deutsch connectors.

2) 1979 - 1995 - Control handle directions and cable travel compatible through today. Cable ends compatible through today, no clip. Electrical connection is Big Round Red Plug, compatible through 1995. An adapter plug is available to adapt older controls to newer motors. Adapters are expensive.

3) 1996 - Today - Control handle directions and cable travel compatible with older versions. Electrical connection is with small rectangular Deutsch connectors. An adapter is available to connect new controls to old motors. Adapters are even harder to find and expensive.

If you are certain about your model year on the motor, you should be using controls from #2, which means controls from 1980 through 1995 will work fine. Easiest way to determine is to open the engine cover and look at what color the main wiring connector is. If your model year is correct, it should be red.

You should be able to find a set of controls on Ebay for ~$150 or less. Probably even less if you stumble across something on Craigslist. I've seen them sold from $60-$100, but you have to be on the ball to get them for a good price.

Good luck!

Do you know what motor the original controls came from? The reason is that each manufacturer used different throttle/shifter directions and cable travels. There really is no way to adapt a set of controls from a Merc or Honda to an Johnson. The only controls that would work will be Evinrude/Johnson controls or some of the Morse universal controls. However the Morse controls will require new cables and probably some adjustments inside the box if they weren't previously used on a JonnyRude.

If the controls were for a different engine brand, it's not likely even possible to adapt them.

Good luck!

You should be good to go. Should be plug and play. The compatibility of the OMC controls is very good. I've recently placed a '77 70 hp Johnson on my boat that has the controls from my '89 Evinrude installed. No issues, even though the cable ends are slightly different. You should have no issue whatsoever.

Good luck!

Latest posts