Trouble with water intake, 1982 Johnson 25 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNatalbany

Reaction score
Hi TinBoats:

I have a motor question. I own a 1982 Johnson 25 HP short shaft. I’ve had it completely rebuilt, and it runs great and has low hours. I got it a year ago. The motor sits on a 1971 Jett all-weld jon boat, 16/42. Jett later became Xpress.

My perennial problem is the water intake and the motor "peeing." The motor must have been left at the launch in a boat slip for a very long time. The lower unit is pretty corroded, and the slot for the wire cylinder water intake screen is pretty wallowed out. The wire cylinder is very much exposed and gets beat up in the rivers. The hole is too big and too long for the standard wire cylinder (see in photo). I have changed it once after seeing that the original was in bad shape and the tell tale was clogged. Soon, the new one was beat up, clogged, and with a gap on the upper end.

Here’s my plan. What do you think?

1. Use Marine Tex to build up the sides of the intake hole to protect the wire cylinder.
2. Use a longer and/or bigger wire cylinder. I’ve bought 2 off of eBay.

Have you run into this problem? Is there a better way to fix it? Is there a way to replace the dainty little wire cylinder or put a better shield over the hole?

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 383
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 383
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 383
Nat,

Marine Tex is pretty good stuff and can be worked and machined quite a bit. I think it is work a try. If that doesn't do it, you may have to find a replacement gearcase section at one of the auction sites, or a outboard parts dealer.

Latest posts