1940-ish Evinrude 1.8 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoldy

Reaction score
It's supposed to be running! [surprize] What kind of compression and spark should I expect? I can test both. I'm gonna go look at it if/when the guy calls me back.
Thanks'
Gary

Well...............if the owner can demonstrate that it runs, then.....it has both compression and plenty of spark.
It should be able to idle down to a decent idle and accelerate normally to full throttle. Check to make sure it pumps water.
Without knowing the exact engine what I can tell you is that many of those engines had metal impellers. Grease in the gearcase in
place of oil, and will probably need to be run on around 16:1 for an oil ratio. Should be a fun little engine.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366038#p366038 said:
Pappy » 11 Sep 2014, 22:46[/url]"]Well...............if the owner can demonstrate that it runs, then.....it has both compression and plenty of spark.
It should be able to idle down to a decent idle and accelerate normally to full throttle. Check to make sure it pumps water.
Without knowing the exact engine what I can tell you is that many of those engines had metal impellers. Grease in the gearcase in
place of oil, and will probably need to be run on around 16:1 for an oil ratio. Should be a fun little engine.
Thank you, Pappy. He's supposed to call me after work today. It's an Elto Ace. I didn't see 'cooling' water comming out in his picture. But as a retirement project for 120 bucks, it may be too interesting to pass up. He has a '52 Johnson 5 horse for 200.00, also running. I could see the water stream on that one. Of course, the pictures could be old. I was thinking compression may be lower than normal in those older engines on purpose.
Gary(waitin' for a phone call)

Well....it seems to me that you may be a candidate for the AOMCI.
Go to https://www.aomci.org and take a look around there. There is a Local Florida chapter available to you as well.
I am a part of the Florida Chapter and we are quite active. A lot of us go to run the engines and not display.
The next antique outboard meet will be held on the Suwanee river South of Old Town on Sept. 19th.
We normally show up for that one on Thursday afternoon and run Friday and Saturday. Some of us continue
through Sunday morning. Should be a lot of engines at that meet as it is one of the favorites to attend.
I have an Elto Ace. Those can be run out of the water for a small amount of time due to the metal impeller.
The '52 5hp should be either a TN (has neutral) or a TD (direct drive). They are pretty cool engines but the price
for that one is a little high unless absolutely pristeen. I also have a TD as well.
Here is a link for the Florida Chapter as well
https://www.flaomci.com/

Thanks again, Pappy. I picked up both, and spare parts for the Elto Ace. They both fired up on the second pull. Ran smooth and shut them off after a few seconds. The Elto is a 4351 and the Johnson is a tn-28. Neither is showroom fresh but the Johnson still has good decals and no corrosion on either one. I guess this weekend I'll be hunting for manuals. THAT might be a tough hunt!

Latest posts