8hp to 9.9hp is there much difference ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfd100

Reaction score
I have an '84 8hp Johnson on a 14' sea nymph
how much difference would a 9.9hp make ?

or can my boat handle a 15hp

I'm new to boating-this is my first tin boat
thanks kevin

If you're looking for a difference, go with the 15 hp. Your 14' should have no problem with it (check your coast guard tag to confirm though).

The 8 to 9.9 would probably make a small difference, but if you have a good running 8 and an average 9.9, you may notice no difference at all.

Good luck!

1980's to mid 90's Johnson/Evinrude. Tons of parts available, reliable, cheap to run and simple. I find Evinrude BRP has better parts support than Mercury for older motors.

When you have only 1 or 2 or 5 horsepower difference but a bigger powerhead, the difference is usually noticeable... More cubic inches, gonna carry a load much better ... As has been mentioned...

9.9--15, not usually as noticeable... Same powerheAd, same cubic inches..maybe a little more top end speed but not much . Pretty much tHe only difference is carb jets, exhaust tuning.. I'm not as familiar with omc's as I am mercurys...

That being said... I wouldn't own a 9.9 and not have it converted to 15...same size, same weight hanging on the transom, I'd just as well have the 15 ponies!

Now go from 25 to 40, Huuuuge difference!!

Easiest to upgrade to 15hp are 1990-and-up Johnson/Evinrude. The most rewarding are 1993-and-up...more displacement. All these engines have the more desirable exhaust parts. 1989 and earlier 9.9s need serious surgery and a 15hp donor engine.

If you want a 15hp Merc, you have to buy one. The 6hp, 8hp, and 9.9hp share common displacement but, the 15hp Merc has a bigger powerhead.

Latest posts