Mercury parts online?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshman

Reaction score
Where is a good place online to order mercury parts?? Surely this day and age I can order parts and have them delivered to my house easier than go to a mercury service department twice to have then order then go back and pick it up...

I stumbled onto a guy up north (I think Wisconsin, can't remember). He is the nicest guy and very helpful. He carries a lot of older Mercury parts. His name is John McIntosh. Here is the link to his store:

https://www.johnsmcintoshvintagemercuryoutboard.com/

He does not have an online order blank/e-commerce, but he does answer emails, takes phone calls, takes PayPal, credit/debit cards, and ships USPS - Fast. I recommend him to be a great source for older Mercs. He's sure helped us out.

Good Luck!
Keith
Texas

I wouldnt really call my motor vintage... Lol

I found 2 possible donor motors today... Had my hands on them.. They both had the parts I need... The people are screwy to fool with tho..(they have hundreds and hundreds of motors laying around in all various forms of completeness... Some look great, some look worse than junk). One of them has a bad cylinder wall and he said no dice, not for sale-- they're gonna rebuild it and resell it.. The other has been sitting on a rack for a very long time collecting dust and spiderwebs, no cowling... Otherwise, appears all complete but he couldn't remember whT was wrong with it.. His pricing method was--- "it's not locked up, I can rebuild it and sell it for 1000..." I'm like "well, it looks to have been sitting here for a long time, I'll give you 300 and take it right now as is, and you don't have to worry about fooling with it". He said no, couldn't go less than 500..

I told him I can buy the parts I need for 200... I also told him I bet him 100 bucks that motor is still sitting there untouched in a month...

I just would like to have gotten the whole thing in case I ever pop a lower unit, would've been nice to have one on hand..

Sorry you had to deal with that, but just think, there's something better out there that awaits you!

Hey, I checked on the website I gave for John McIntosh. He has been Merc dealer in Wisconsin for 35 years. His inventory of old-new stock is incredible. Tools too. If ya don't see it on his website, just shoot him an email or give him a call. Chances are, he has it and it's just not listed. Everything from the 50's to present. :)

Keep us posted!
Keith
Texas

Well.. I guess I screwed up... Restoring/customizing this extra 25 I bought...the guy I got it from had a real rough looking flat black paint job on it for duck hunting I assume...

Anyway, I decided to redo it but since it is black I just went with a dark metallic Charcoal rather than back to factory silvery gray... No real big deal...

The rubber boot at the cowling bottom,(more specifically called a "top cowl seal" via mercury marine) was cracked, dry rotted, partly missing so I peeled it off with plans to just buy a new one...

Well.... Mercury no longer sells just the boot.. Have to buy the whole cowling for 300 bucks!! I've already got about 10 hours worth of work stripping sanding and painting on this one, and new decals already made, not buying a new cowling...

Anybody have a source for this rubber boot by chance??

First 2 pics are my paint job progress, second 2 pics just show examples of the rubber trim
Boot I need...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,126
No, but you can put a ring of insulated tape along the inside of the cowl where it overlaps the base to keep it from chattering - it will serve the same function but will not give you the finished look to the outside.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366597#p366597 said:
onthewater102 » September 19th, 2014, 9:48 pm[/url]"]No, but you can put a ring of insulated tape along the inside of the cowl where it overlaps the base to keep it from chattering - it will serve the same function but will not give you the finished look to the outside.
That's where one of those razor knives would come in handy. I think they're called box cutters. Trim that puppy down to the edge.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366600#p366600 said:
Y_J » September 19th, 2014, 10:00 pm[/url]"]
[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366597#p366597 said:
onthewater102 » September 19th, 2014, 9:48 pm[/url]"]No, but you can put a ring of insulated tape along the inside of the cowl where it overlaps the base to keep it from chattering - it will serve the same function but will not give you the finished look to the outside.
That's where one of those razor knives would come in handy. I think they're called box cutters. Trim that puppy down to the edge, or put the excess on the inside.

I've been Hunting around... May go with something like this...trying to find the right dimensions I want ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,116
I'm not familiar with that motor but just thinking out loud, Would some aquarium airline tubing work around the cowling base? Would be a lot less expensive.

Not sure what aquarium airline hose looks like...but sorry I'm not running anything that looks redneck engineered... I've had someone else suggest rubber hose.. Sorry, I want it to look good, not rigged.... I'll pay a little extra... There's someone somewhere that makes that extruded rubber molding for mercury... Surely they'll sell it to me or surely there's someone that can duplicate it and sell it to me...

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=366609#p366609 said:
marshman » Yesterday, 21:17[/url]"]I've been Hunting around... May go with something like this...trying to find the right dimensions I want ...
I've used this stuff before. It's pretty hard and I don't think you'd get a very good seal. Have you looked at the rubber seal they use on vehicle doors? I've got an extended cab truck and the seal that's attached to the leading edge of the rear half-door or something similar might work pretty nice.

No prob marshman.. I just thought if the motor had a groove around it for the cowling to fit in, the air line is small enough to fit in it and possibly not be seen. As I said, just thinking out loud.
Have a great evening.

What's the p/n for the seal? If you know that you can hit-up ebay on/off until you find it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercury-New-OEM-Engine-Cover-Cowling-Hood-Rubber-Seal-8253182-8M0043273-75-90-/190815802727

Its done minus the rubber seal..

I have the part number written down... Can't find it... I'm gonna try some rubber tape and layer it..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 265
Looks good for a DYI! You did good!=D>

Someone mentioned earlier about automotive door seal trim. I would go to an auto body paint/supply store and ask about it. It comes in various thickness dimensions as well as various widths. It is sold by the foot. It's made for inside/outside use; weather resistant; and once molded, stays in place with a touch of double sided auto emblem tape or glue. Has a nice professional look, too. (so says the opinion of my husband who is a 25+ year professional paint/body man....) 8)

Other than that, you might try a boat shop with a bone yard and find a used one off another cowl and cut to fit, but it won't look as good. :?

Best of luck!

Texas

Latest posts