1976 Evinrude 6 hp Model 6604

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolves

Reaction score
Hey guys need some help if possible. I am trying to get my boat ready for duck season. I took the motor out of storage changed water pump, gas filter, plugs, lower unit oil etc. Motor runs like a top. After starting and shutting down a few times the pull cord seemed lock up. Not the motor the pull starter. After further inspection I noticed that the cam follower, lever & starter interlock spring was binding up the starter. I moved the lever out of the way and the pull cord starts and rewinds with no problems, the motor starts and runs great. I took the starter interlock washer, spring, cam follower and lever off, and cant seem to put it back on correctly. Not sure how to align things up and wind or unwind the spring. Any help would be great, thanks John.

It's hard to completely understand without a picture or two. Are you talking about the starter interlock which prevent starting the motor if the throttle is turned too high? I recently had a 6 hp with this interlock that I removed. With the cover on, it is very difficult to determine when it is engaged or not. It's not necessary as long as you pay attention to the throttle position and ensure that the motor is in neutral when you start the motor.

Unfortunately I no longer have the motor available to look at, but you should take a look at the exploded view on boats.net or Crowleymarine.com. IIRC, the two interlock pieces snap together with a square interface. You need to align them properly and it will become obvious which way the spring needs to assemble. Make sure the little snap fitting is not lost from the top of the interlock. This keeps the two pieces meshed together.

Here's an excellent link for you to read up on your motor: https://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_6hp.htm It doesn't appear to have any specific information on the starter interlock, but it is a good resource anyway.

Good luck!

He's telling you right! Go to Leroy's Ramblings. He puts it out there just like it is and explains stuff right down to the turns on the bolt. Not to mention, he's funny, too! Helped us out on a Johnson 9.5 recently.

Good Luck!
Keith
Texas

Thanks for the help and replys. After further inspection and removing it I noticed the square interlock. I reassembled them and snapped them together placed the spring and retainer back on. Works like a charm. I think what had happened was somehow the two pieces unlocked and was sitting in there loosely, causing it to jam the starter even in the start position. Thanks again. John.

There's a really small white plastic ring that snaps over the little post on top of the interlock. If you don't have that ring snapped over the post, the two pieces will come apart again. If you lost that piece, maybe a small dab of superglue to hold the two pieces together? Just enough so that you can hold the pieces together, but not so much that you can't break it apart if you need to.

Good luck!

Latest posts