Chrysler 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank91

Reaction score
Recently bought 14ft sea nymph. My first tinny. Found good deal on older model Chrysler 9.9. Motor runs great but I'm a little disappointed in overall speed. Can't get boat to plane off with 2 guys and gear. Should this motor plane boat off? Thinking I'm not getting maximum performance. Any modifications I could make to increase HP? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 639
I don't know anything about motors so I can't help. We don't see many Chryslers here so it's nice to see one and yours looks like it's been well cared for. Hope you get it figured out.

It'd be nice to know a little more about Chryslers. Who made them and for how long, etc.

Good luck.

That's basically a Force 9.9 engine. If I had to guess, it looks like an early 80's. I owned a couple of mid 80's Force 15 hp motors that had the same basic layout. For me on a 15hp with a relatively narrow 14' aluminum boat, there was absolutely no issue with planing. A 9.9 with two guys and gear, that could be approaching the limit of that motor. I recently ran a 6 hp on the same boat with me and my 4 year old, and I could just BARELY get it to plane off with him in the front seat.

Have you tried it with just yourself? Also, it may be easier to have your buddy sit in the very front seat until the bow comes down. Also make sure that you have the motor trimmed all the way in.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. My motors were good, although I had one overheat as there was no tell-tale to see if the water was running or not, so keep a very close eye on your water intakes and replace the impeller regularly.

Compatible motors would be: Force, Sea King, Gamefisher, Chrysler, looks like model years between '84 and '87

Good luck!

Make sure its hitting on both cylinders. I got a Force 9.9 which is the same thing as yours. It laid out on one cylinder and it would barely push the boat with me in it. Check the plugs. I got a manual for it somewhere if you need it. I downloaded it from the net. heres a link to find out what year it is https://www.maxrules.com/ChryslerModels/9p9_15.html

Steve

Thanks Steve. Looked it up on that link you posted. Turns out its a 1973. Got it at an estate sale. Looked to me like it had hardly been run. Worked it through break in period just to be sure. Will check plugs and make sure it's hitting on both cylinders. Thanks again