Carb Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocker

Reaction score
I've been reading where the only difference between a 9.9 and a 15 is the carburator. I have a 2000 Johnson 9.9. Just wondering if any one has experience with this and is it true.

Read this through: https://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.9_1993.htm

It looks like the carb and reed plate for your motor. I'm sure you'd get a boost by just replacing the carb, but for the full 15 hp you'd need both.

Good Luck!

Although I have not checked the parts diagrams (think you are just as capable) I believe the difference for that year may also include a megaphone vs. plain exhaust pipe.
You do get the most bang for the buck with the carb but not the complete 15hp.

Gotta modify Exhaust also... . I'm not familiar with omc's but if you pull the plate or rejet to increase fuel you have to increase exhaust to get full effect...

1989 and earlier engines had the 2 different inner pipes: one for 9.9hp and one for 15hp. These earlier engines had different outer exhaust housings as well. The difference there is in the exhaust outlet holes at the bottom of the main outer housing.

Starting in 1990 both models got the same '15hp' exhaust tube(inner exhaust). 1990 and later engines all got the 15hp outer housings too.

The older style engines(1992 and earlier)all had the same reed-plate. That same plate is also used on the later style 1993 and up...but only on the 15hp. The 1993 and up 9.9hp had a different leaf plate assembly but the changes were the reed itself and no shim. A shim lets the reeds open a little farther, used only on 15hp. Using a set of Boyesen reeds fixes all that. You still may need to buy the shims if the Boyesen instructions say to use them. I can't remember exactly...

If you want to buy a new leaf plate complete, buy the 9.9 unit. It is over $100 cheaper. This leaves cash in your pocket even after buying the Boyesen reeds and the factory shims. Bombardier prices the 15hp leaf-plate really high because people often don't bother figuring out the differences...but you don't have to pay that.

The carburetor is the main ingredient. 9.9hp=small carb, 15hp=large carb. Anyone who says "you can re-jet a 9.9hp carb with a 15hp jet..." has never actually tried it. That DOES NOT work. You have to find the 15hp carburetor. See the 9.9 and the 15 carbs in the pictures.

In short, upgrading the 2000 Johnson 9.9hp to 15hp is pretty easy. Mostly it's the carb. Go one step farther and install a set of Boyesen reeds. It makes one snappy fishing motor. The 4stroker in the next boat will think he left his anchor down.

After making any changes, ALWAYS do the factory linkage synchronizing procedure. "Link & synch" by the book.

I hope this helps out with upgrading to 15hp.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 497
See pics of the 15hp megaphone on left and the 9.9hp manifold on the right.
Both models got the megaphone starting in 1990. No changes needed to exhaust for upgrade.

1993-and-up engines are larger than the 1992-and-down models(15.6cu.in. vs 13.2cu.in.)

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 495

Latest posts