Mariner outboard prop shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papamike

Reaction score
I have a Mariner outboard serial # OG202663 don't know the year. I hit a stump pretty hard and now the prop wobbles a bit when spun by hand, also getting water in the oil not much but some. How hard is it to change the prop shaft any special tools needed? never had one apart befor. Or should I just take it to aa marina to get fixed? also what year is it. thanks for any advice

One other thing to check quickly is make sure that you've got a problem with the prop shaft and not the prop itself. When you are spinning the prop, are you checking the end of the shaft or the outside of the prop? I've seen several props that wobble when the shaft itself is true. It's a super easy check, and if the shaft is fine, it may be as simple as changing the prop.

Good luck!

Check real good for cracks also. Take the prop off and have someone turn the motor over while you look for runout in the prop shaft.

There are 2 options if the prop shaft is bent ( note I don't know how pull or remove it from the lower unit ) 1 replace it with a new or used one. 2 Get the shaft straightened; if you go this rout if heat is applied make sure it is re - tempered. My dad had a bad experience with this when he hit a stump & bent the shaft on his 200 Yamaha. Took it to the local mechanic & he had it straightened ( unknown to us that it had not been re - tempered ) about half a dozen fishing trips later running down the lake at full throttle it snapped the prop flew off at 70mph luckily no one was hurt but it stripped the lower unit gears & we lost a very expensive prop. longer story put short we let insurance handle the new lower unit cost & we no longer do business with that mechanic. Just my 2 cents worth on this.

Latest posts