Yamaha f20 VS Mercury 20 ELH

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritchie904

Reaction score
Yamaha F20 and the Mercury 20 elh I want to put one of these on A lowe 1448 MT What are the PROS and CONS and any
info would be nice thank you and good fishin

do a search on here, there are many threads that talk about the mercury 20hp. I have one and do not like it. it is way underpowered for a 20hp. my buddy has a Yamaha 20 performs much better than my merc. I would go with the Yamaha.

Just looking at the engine specs the Yamaha will develop more low end torque, so while both are rated for 20 peak hp the yamaha will accelerate faster.

I do not own either, I have a much older 2 stroke mariner, and I'm less than impressed with it's torque curve as compared to my little 5.5hp Johnson from 1955. For a motor that can get my boat on plane at 15mph and push it up to 22 (fully loaded), it sure struggles to get going until the RPM's get up. I do not have any specialty propeller on it.

The 25 is quite a bit heavier........and honestly the 20 is a better option at the moment when all the newer 25's are upward of 170-180 lbs (including the ETEC).

Yamaha F20 advantages are many, one being that it is a little bit bigger engine and develops a bit better torque. Also has a fully automatic choke, a spin on oil filter, better tiller handle, better clamp bracket, better shifting linkages, better shifter, etc. Excellent warranty and top notch product support from Yamaha. I have sold Merc and Yamaha and have had to deal with both from a factory support standpoint, Yamaha outshines Merc by a LONG shot! Actually my boss gave up on Merc because of warranty reimbursement, among other things.

The Merc is a Tohatsu with different stickers. I will also say that the Yamaha is quieter. The Tohatsu/merc makes a little gear noise in the foot which you hear up top while the engine is running. I hated the whine. The yammie doesn't do that. At one point I put a vid on here comparing the two. Might search for it ;)

The yamaha is a little more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Latest posts