Broke the fuel nipple of my carb, what to do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melonpeel

Reaction score
So... I was trying to gently rotate the fuel nipple on the side of my new carb about 20 degrees so it would point straight down to fix a crimp in my fuel line that occurs at it's current angle. I thought these are threaded and not press fit. Oh well. It broke off flush with the carb body. I tried an easy out bit and the tip broke off inside. I then tried to drill it all out and the bit broke in half. I don't have a vice and was holding it on the floor between my feet. When the bit broke I slipped and ended up drilling a nice big hole in my foot. Blood everywhere. It's been one of those days. And if I continue to drill it out I run the risk of widening the hole too much for a new nipple. The motor is a 1996 Gamefisher 5hp. I would try just tapping it through to the inside but for sure there is no way to get it out of there through the top if I did that. I think I'll just take it to the small motor shop in town unless there's a better idea? I need to ask Santa for a vice and a drill press.

Honestly, it'll probably be cheaper and easier to replace the carb body. Check for the part number on boats.net or crowleymarine.com and then search for it on Ebay.

here's one for an '88 5hp Force that's $75 complete.

Good luck, I hope your tetanus is up to date...

Ouch! I hate drilling holes in body parts. It hurts. If the easy-out is broke off in the old nipple it is going to be a bear to remove it. If you can get the broke off easy-out out of the nipple you could try drilling a larger hole in the nipple and using a larger easy-out. If the nipple is press fitted into the housing you could try to drill the housing with a slightly smaller bit than the press fit tube on the nipple then press it into the housing.

My last ditch effort will be to dremel a slot for a small screwdriver and try to back out the tip of the easy out. Then try drilling again. I'll use my wife's feet this time. Lol

JMichael said:
Those easy outs are hard to drill, (impossible if you ask me). Good luck with it.

I agree the easy-outs are hard but they are not impossible to drill. Years ago I came across a vendor at a home show that was drilling through all kinds of material with a set of bits he was selling. They are made by Rodman Company. They have drilled through anything I have came across since I purchased them. They are guaranteed for life also. I would buy another set but I was told they only sell them at home shows and such. They will drill through files, grade 8 bolts, drill bits, or any other hard steel. The only thing is that the minimum speed to turn them is 2000 rpm. That pretty much limits them to a drill press. I did have a DeWalt cordless drill at one time that did turn 2000 rpm, but someone stole it from my workplace.

First, get a vice. Better still find someone with a drill press or mill with a good vice that can clamp it securely. Proper tools are important when working with metal and sharp objects. Hands and feet are not proper tools for holding metal parts while cutting with sharp objects. Sorry to hear about your foot.

Latest posts