1752 With a 25 HP 2 Stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browning84

Reaction score
Is anyone on here running this setup or something similar to it. I ordered a new boat with an open floor plan. Has a 60" deck no flotation anywhere (more weight removed) and no floor but I will be running a perforated aluminium floor in it with 1 seat base, post, and seat. I will have a 12-16 gal tank 1-2 batteries and a trolling motor. I am wondering what kinds of speeds I can expect with just me?

I will find out in November but I am just curious now. The motor is a 72 25r72r Johnson 25 HP

Not to be the Debbie downer but I think you will be very disappointed... I run a25 on a 1542 and with just me on a good day I'm hitting 30/31... Add gear and another person I'm bogging down to 24/25...

My boat is much less than yours.. But I do believe you'll be running more cubic inches on your motor..I wouldn't expect much though..

I ran a 15 on my boat for a short, very short while when my 25 was being worked on.. It ran, it planed, but painfully, miserably slow...

Good luck.. I think you're gonna wanna upgrade to at least a 40, I think you need a 60...

marshman my ultimate goal is to go bigger, in fact I am looking to a 70-90 Yamaha tiller. I would settle for a 50 if the deal was impossible to walk away from. I got a steal of a deal on a boat and motor combo and I'm selling the boat but not the motor, I don't have a motor to replace the 25 hp so... Duck season starts at the end of November and the boat gets here early November so there is very little time to upgrade. I am fully prepared to be disappointed, just trying to get an idea of how disappointed I will be. :shock:

You're carrying some good weight. My Alumacraft MV1648 with a similar engine did 25mph. Boat weighs 290 and I weigh 200. plus tank and incidentals. I don't carry fish gear, trolling motors, or batteries(unless electric start).

These engines were the final edition of the old 18hp. The 25hp version had different pistons, head, and carb. The factory rated them up to 6000rpm instead of 5000 for the 18hp. Keep that in mind when you select your prop. If you want all 25hp you need to prop it to run 5500+. This applies to the 22cu.in. engines up to 1973-4. Check specs for your engine.

This is my 3rd boat but my first motor so I really don't know anything about specs on outboards. Is there a fairly easy way (along the lines of different carb) to get more along the lines of 30-35 hp or more?

browning84 said:
This is my 3rd boat but my first motor so I really don't know anything about specs on outboards. Is there a fairly easy way (along the lines of different carb) to get more along the lines of 30-35 hp or more?

Sorry to say, but there's no upgrade path for that engine block.
On the flip side, you shouldn't have any trouble selling if its running good.
Still some demand for a lightweight 25 like that.