Where can I find a wide blade flat screwdriver?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Where can I find a wide bladed flat screwdriver? Like, a 1/2 inch wide. I started to change the gear oil on my outboard today and the drain screws look like I should use a coin to open them with. One screw is so tight I can't loosen it with my normal, 3/16 wide screwdriver. If I lean on it, it jumps out of the slot.

What works well getting those plugs out is an impact screwdriver. The type that you hit with a hammer. I suppose that they still sell them. Mine was purchased back in the 1960s to work on dirt bikes with.

Regards, Keith

I've used my largest flat head screwdriver then tap it with a hammer. Don't slam it, just tap it a few times and that will usually break them loose enough to turn them out. Kind of like tapping a jar lid on the counter to get it to open up by hand.

Thanks for the tips. I did get it out by using my largest flat blade, about 3/16 inch, and a vice grip pliers on the shaft of the screwdriver for leverage. This way, I put my body weight into pressing the driver into the screw, preventing the blade from jumping out of the slot or stripping it.

I will look into an impact screw driver. That has been on my tool wish list for a while, but until now I didn't have a real need.

Ken

I use a 1/4" ratchet with a wide flat blade screwdriver socket bit. This gives me the extra leverage I need. Be prepared to chip or even break a few of these bits, as these screws, especially the bottom one, can really be seized, even more so in saltwater use.

I've done this on a number of lowers recently. The best way I've found is to use a hand impact driver like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Impact-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS/ref=sr_1_3

and a slightly modified drag link socket like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-SB-40-Drive-Socket-16-Inch/dp/B007YR9ZXK/ref=sr_1_3

The drag link is slightly too wide and thick, but a bit of quick grinding makes it a perfect fit. I've mangled too many drain screws with a screw driver, so I don't even try that method any more. Two quick strikes with this setup and it's out. I haven't needed to replace a single drain screw since I've started this.

Good luck!

I have a Craftsman that is from the 1970s and still works well for that purpose.

also, I have bought some 3/8s drive socket sets that have the 1/2" wide screwdriver bit.
they are a bit thick, but a little grinding and it will work.

you might get lucky and find just the bit for sale - takes up way less room in your tool bag
vs a 20" tire tool screwdriver.

Attachments

• half bath 085.JPG
    half bath 085.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 3,849
  • half bath 087.JPG
    half bath 087.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,849
  • half bath 088.JPG
    half bath 088.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 3,849
Bet you have what you need in your car or truck. A tire iron works great. The 3 or 4 I tried all fit. Plus you can get some leverage on it, a 4way works great.