Mercury 9.9 remote linkage question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwphoto

Reaction score
Hi folks:

I just took possession of a remote control kit for my 9.9 kicker. I just have the manual start, and bought the appropriate kit for the same.

I have a Morse dual lever controller that I would like to use, so have a question about the linkage for the kit. I was planning to use a separate control knob for the transmission/gears and throttle. Normally these locked together at neutral, and I'm not sure if it's possible to permanently split them. It appears there is some kind of a shift knob with the kit, that would replace the "throttle only" button. The throttle only button disengages the gears from the throttle, so pretty sure this little shift knob does the same thing.

What I don't know is if this is spring-loaded or otherwise snaps back into locking the throttle and gears together once back in neutral. Again, my goal is to have independent controls for gears and throttle, without having to pull or push a shift knob. I also realize there is a little danger in what I'm doing, like having the boat at half throttle and moving the shift lever from forward to reverse (not a good thing), but since I'm the only one really operating the controls, I'm confident I'm not going to do any damage.

Best,

Troy

Latest posts