1995 15hp 2stroke fuel/air mix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Ok so i pulled the carb off my merc and replaced all the gaskets and cleaned it out good.My question is i believe the fuel/air mix on the carb was ok but how would i know if it's to lean or to rich just in case it got out of wack.What i was told is if in f gear you rev the motor all the way up real fast and let it go and it's clean,as in no sneezing or trying to stall out chances are it's ok and don't mess with it.I know it smokes like a 2stroke should.

Today i'm going to replace the water pump impeller and the metal gasket kit with the washers,it seems very easy to do_Ok any help on the air/fuel would be great,thanks.

Also i have had quite a few mercs but never used a 95 full time.Does anyone have around the same yr and have they had any issues with it?From what i gather these little mid 90's merc 2strokes were near bulletproof so any help on this would be great,Thanks.

scoobeb said:
you rev the motor all the way up real fast and let it go and it's clean,as in no sneezing or trying to stall out chances are it's ok and don't mess with it.
that's some good advice right there!

generally on most dirtbike, fourwheeler, & outboard motor carbs, the factory setting is all the way tight, then back it out 2 and 1/4 turns. this is one of the 1st things I check when someone complains to me their toy won't idle or bogs at WOT

One of the test/checks I do with 2 cycle engines is once I have them running pretty good, I'll let it idle for a minute or two and see if it starts to load up (run rich). If it does, it will gradually die as it starts to run too rich at idle or when you crack the throttle wide open, it will stutter, spit, and cough before it responds to the throttle change and then finally rev up or die. If it's doing either of these, I lean the mixture out very slightly, then rinse/repeat. I like to try and adjust mine to run as rich as possible without loading up at idle.

Ok,sounds good.I am putting the carb back on this monday and i'm going to get the whole motor back together then fill it up with gas and see what happens.I know before i took it apart it ran great at idle but i never have taken the motor out yet on a boat.I bought it off ebay and it wasn't what i paid for so me and the guy had an arguement when i opened it up.When you pay $1200 for a 95 motor which i had already known it was way to much it should be as advertised.The motor looked really clean and i had asked him is there anything wrong with it,he said nope,not a flaw,his pics showed that.But i had noticed after looking at the pics after i got it the few things that ticked me off were just to hard to see.

The bottom cowl were the actually engine sits on has several cracks going all the way through from top to bottom of the cowl.You can't see any of that because the way the pics are taken.As soon as i opened the box and tilted it up i was like no issues huh,i got right on the phone and the guy accused me of cracking it all over the place,it won't hurt anything as it's still strong enough to run the motor forever the way it is but that is not the point,i paid an easy $300-$500 more then i normally would have because it looked flawless.I know quite a bit on buying and selling motors and there is allot to be learned as i am slowly but one thing i never do is lie to anyone,that just down right pisses me off.

Well i went out and started it,then realized gas was leaking out of the diaphragm and were you connect the line at.I was like you got to be kidding me,needless to say long story short never again will i buy an outboard unless i can physically see it with my eyes.That's the first and last outboard i will buy on ebay unless it's from a reputable dealer.After fighting with him,sending him pics,he knew he was wrong and i had him caught,he sent me a message if i wanted a refund,but i had already bought all the parts i needed to fix everything except the lower cowl(to much $$$ to worry about) and was not losing more money by sending it back and getting stuck with a crarb gasket set and an impeller kit and a new prop.He told me for near 3 weeks there is nothing wrong with it until i proved it to him with pics and a video and he still wouldn't work with me so i thought i was stuck with it and went ahead and got all it needed to fix it,all i wanted was for him to pay for what was damaged and we would call it fair,he wanted nothing to do with that.Guy was a dirtbag.He blew smoke up my a$% and i bought it because he had a near perfect score selling over 200 items.He had never sold anything this big or for as much money and sells little odd and end things so that is why he had a perfect score.He never sold any engines or anything over $100 so i can see how he could have a perfect score.He told me,oh yeah this is my personal motor ,i use it all the time,it runs great,this guy could have never ran this at all because it was leaking gas like crazy and it had no grease in the alley were the motor tilts up and down so it was stiff as a board,could barely tilt it.Thank God the compression was 130 perfect on each cylinder,the actual motor besides all the cracks,banged up prop but not to bad(needed replacement) which i will just leave them alone,(costs to much to replace the lower cowl)is in great shape,the paint is perfect,the engine is very clean and it runs awesome and never has been in saltwater so that is the positives.

The worst part was i never wanted to return it,i just wanted the man to own up that he lied and sold me something that he described as flawless to me that was not and all i wanted was him to send me back only a few hundred bucks for the actual damage it had,i told him i would of never paid more then $800-$900 and that would have been in perfect condition.These little mercs are near bullet proof and i had thought i found a gem but after i'm done cleaning it up,just replaced all the gaskets on the carb,installing a new impeller,a good wash down inside and out,degrease the whole motor,then re grease whatever needs to be,i can get at least 5-10yrs out of it,maybe more.

The thing i was irritated about was all the cracks.Don't lie,just tell me the truth.The motor had cracks all over it,missing the plug over the shift linkage on the outside of the outboard,needed a new prop,water pump,all new rebuilt carb,a really good cleaning,replaced all the hoses as they were rotten(gas lines and line from the thermostat to the pee hole).That is not a flawless outboard by any means as he stated.But i ate it as in money and i know when i go to sell it whenever that is the motor will be 100%better then i got it,The bad is i will never get what i paid for it,maybe around $800-$1000 and it will be well worth it when it's all done up,the good thing is the cracks won't effect the engine at all,but if someone wanted to replace the lower cowl it would be almost flawless then,i may do it down the road then i will def keep it having all this time and money invested in it.

Long story short,watch what you buy on ebay,especially outboards.Never again,only in person.((((((Sorry i had to vent,just makes me upset that there is so many people who do this to other people,people work hard for their money and idiots like this do what they do especially when this guy knew it wasn't what he advertised on ebay and knew he was lying to me and anyone else who had interest,makes me upset.)))))

Man,I feel your pain on that. I have to admit, though, not as bad as yours. About 3 months ago I bought a small Ted Williams OB off of eBay. With about a dozen photos it looked all but brand new. For starters it took right at a month to finally receive the motor. Boy, she sure looked pretty. Fuel tank had no hint ,looks or smell, of gas ever being in it. Checking it over, I found there was no spark at the plug. So now it's sitting tore apart waiting on the parts I ordered to arrive. Hopefuly tomorrow. I was really disapointed in not being able to get it in the water before everything started freezing. To late. :|
Anyway, I hope your deal pans out for you in the end

Thanks,it's so **** frustrating when people aren't honest.I told the guy had i known i was getting all these issues with it i would of offered you like $500 less.Overall the outboard is extremely in great shape and if i want to replace the lower cowl i can in time but i don't see the reason to do it especially when it's ok now.It's not the point it's in good shape,it's that the man flat out lied to me and said it had no issues.

To me no issues is no cracks,leaking gas,leaking carb,the channel of were the motor tilts up and down was so dry with no grease or lube it would barely tilt up but yet this guy claimed he used it all the time,that's how i knew he was full of it.Thank God like i said the compression was a 130 even on both cylinders or i would of really got killed on the deal.Had i not bought all the small parts i needed to get it in perfect condition to run and he didn't wait till after i got all what i needed i would of no problem sent it back to him for my refund.I bought a new tank and line that was $100 at walmart(not cheap anymore like it once was)a whole impeller kit $85,all new hoses for the fuel lines as well as the thermostat lines to the pee hole $15 for all of it.2 new plugs $8,New prop at $70,grease at $7,New gasket kit for the carb $55 That's over $300 i would have lost on top of the $1200 i paid so you see why i couldn't send it back.Plus i bought a bottle of dawn to scrub all the carbon buildup on the outside of the exhaust were it all drips down and the whole outboards just needs a good scrubbing.

I will take a before and after pic of it,it's going to look pretty.The only reason i bought it was i have over 8 full gallons of full synthetic pennzoil that i paid near $40 a gallon so i needed to use that all up and i have a nice small boat that the 15 will fit on.Once i get it done it will be worth it.

scoobeb said:
I will take a before and after pic of it,it's going to look pretty.The only reason i bought it was i have over 8 full gallons of full synthetic pennzoil that i paid near $40 a gallon so i needed to use that all up and i have a nice small boat that the 15 will fit on.Once i get it done it will be worth it.
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Bet it's gonna be awesome.

chevyrulz said:
scoobeb said:
you rev the motor all the way up real fast and let it go and it's clean,as in no sneezing or trying to stall out chances are it's ok and don't mess with it.
that's some good advice right there!

generally on most dirtbike, fourwheeler, & outboard motor carbs, the factory setting is all the way tight, then back it out 2 and 1/4 turns. this is one of the 1st things I check when someone complains to me their toy won't idle or bogs at WOT

True!!!

Latest posts