1990 14hp making me crazy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboat954

Reaction score
I have tried a lot of things to this motor .when its running it runs amazing but the problem is I drove bout 5miles ran great when i go to the spot and slowed down it died so I fished for about n hour and when I went to start it itwouldnt start tried snd tried and finally about n hour later it just started up all the sudden and ran all the way back to the dock but as soon as I slowed down it died and wouldn't start. Again I'm not sure why it would do that I cleaned the carb all out and put new gas but no luck new plugs new fuel filter new fuel lines and same problem. Please if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate i

Might it be an electrical problem?
When it won't start spray a little fuel oil mix into the carb and see if the motor pops.

I tried that and it still wouldn't start pulled the rope over n over every few times added a little spray n nothing. Do u think it could b fuel pump?

jonboat954 said:
I tried that and it still wouldn't start pulled the rope over n over every few times added a little spray n nothing. Do u think it could b fuel pump?
The only purpose a fuel pump serves is to keep the needle and seat closed in the carburetor....meaning that it keeps the carb bowl full. No! It is not the fuel pump.

In troubleshooting an engine the best way to go about things is not to just throw parts at it...plugs, filter etc.
Divide your problem.
Is it fuel or is it ignition?
Then, is it one cylinder or both? What controls what? etc.
Now, when your engine exhibits the issue find out whether the ignition system is functioning. Do this by seeing if it will fire across an approx. 3/8" gap. If not, then we are looking at an ignition system issue. If it will then we are looking at a fuel issue. On that engine nothing takes long to check.
Bring a phillips head insulated screw driver with you and, after pulling both plugs, place the screwdriver tip into one of the plug wires and hold the shaft of the driver close to a ground and pull the rope. Not near the open spark plug holes or you will need a fire extinguisher!. If you have spark then congratulations, you have just divided the problem in half. We can go from there. Let us know.
BTW....check the ground from your power pack. Clean and re-tighten just for the heck of it. If the engine has been overheated that ground can loosen and intermittently lose connection.

Great, then you have a fuel problem.
On that engine you may have an idle mixture screw, either at the top front of the carb or at the top rear on the stbd. side. Lightly seat the needle and then back it out around 2 full turns and re start your engine.
If it runs rough but reliably then start turning this screw in around 1/8 turn at a time until the engine reaches its highest idle RPM then back it back out between 1/8-1/4 turn and leave it there.
Let us know.

Latest posts