Motor Maintenance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
So this summer and into early Fall my 1955 Evinrude 7.5 was running like a champ... got a good oil ratio, used some good fuel stabil and had a good time.

This weekend its going to be in the 50s and plan on hitting the water for a little carp shoot.

the motor has been upright, still on my boat, since late september...

Its been pretty cold, but she is in the garage for the most part.

Temps have warmed up so I dont think anything would be frozen.

Should I worry about anything?
Should I have drained anything prior to letting her sit?

tonynoriega said:
So this summer and into early Fall my 1955 Evinrude 7.5 was running like a champ... got a good oil ratio, used some good fuel stabil and had a good time.

This weekend its going to be in the 50s and plan on hitting the water for a little carp shoot.

the motor has been upright, still on my boat, since late september...

Its been pretty cold, but she is in the garage for the most part.

Temps have warmed up so I dont think anything would be frozen.

Should I worry about anything?
Should I have drained anything prior to letting her sit?

all I would do to winterize it is run it completely out of fuel (opinions differ but I pull my gas line at the dock and run it out gas every time I use it not just to winterize it) make sure the cooling system has no water in it and change my lower unit oil in case i have a bad prop shaft or other seal on it and water doesent sit in there all winter and damage or ruin my lower and that's it. that old fleet twins like every other 10hp and under models from the mid 50's to 60's are beasts!! your old 55 will probably be running like a champ when most of us are on the big lake in the sky if its taken care of, great motors. too bad they don't build them like that any more....

Latest posts