Problem with shifting, revving, Johnson 25 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNatalbany

Reaction score
I need help with my 1982 Johnson 25 HP Short Shaft (J25RCNB).

In Aug-Sept 2013 I had the gear LUBE, water pump, impeller and seals changed (I've not changed gear grease since.). Since then the 25 would sometimes slip when running, rev up, as if it was cavitating, lose power, and then quickly right itself. A few weeks ago it would rev when I'd try to get it on plane. This would go on for a long time, and I'd have to idle to go anywhere. It might later catch and run a while, then lose power. Then one day it ran fine for 20 minutes. I thought it was the prop hub slipping. I had it rehubbed, and now it's now as bad as ever. Just won't get on a plane, losing all power until I start to idle.

Other symptoms: Sometimes it has been hard to get the motor into neutral to crank it. It might take 5 minutes to get it to slip into neutral when I'm trying to pull start it. I move the shifter back and forth.

Is this just a slipping clutch dog? Does it simply need a new clutch/shifter dog and forward gear or is it something more?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Johnson 25.jpg
    Johnson 25.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 413
BigNatalbany said:
I need help with my 1982 Johnson 25 HP Short Shaft (J25RCNB).

In Aug-Sept 2013 I had the gear LUBE, water pump, impeller and seals changed (I've not changed gear grease since.). Since then the 25 would sometimes slip when running, rev up, as if it was cavitating, lose power, and then quickly right itself. A few weeks ago it would rev when I'd try to get it on plane. This would go on for a long time, and I'd have to idle to go anywhere. It might later catch and run a while, then lose power. Then one day it ran fine for 20 minutes. I thought it was the prop hub slipping. I had it rehubbed, and now it's now as bad as ever. Just won't get on a plane, losing all power until I start to idle.

Other symptoms: Sometimes it has been hard to get the motor into neutral to crank it. It might take 5 minutes to get it to slip into neutral when I'm trying to pull start it. I move the shifter back and forth.

Is this just a slipping clutch dog? Does it simply need a new clutch/shifter dog and forward gear or is it something more?

Thanks for any advice.

Well, I would start with checking the shift linkage connector (#6,7,8) located behind the small oval plate half way up the leg. It should shift easily between gears. Good luck.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1982&hp=25&model=J25RCNB&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase

If this problem started when the lower unit was removed for service, then I think it is likely that the shift connector was not properly reassembled. I am going to agree with Jasper, that's where you look first. If the technician also 'adjusted the linkage' you may have to straighten that out too.

Latest posts